gentle man

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Sunday, 2 February 2014

The Young Man Finds Himself Trapped

Posted on 00:30 by Unknown
“Nothing lasts forever.”
-as heard in the 2009 film, WHATEVER WORKS by Woody Allen

 Diary Notes from January 30, 1988….
PHOTO:  Annie Alberti
On January 30, 1988 I had a nice visit from MIKE MILLER.   He’ll never turn down a slice of pound cake.   I had just come home from a bike ride.
PHOTO:  MICHAEL G MILLER and the pound cake

I also shared some of my macadamia nuts from Hawaii.   Who can resist chocolate-covered macadamia nuts? 
An hour or so later mom stopped by to see me for a bit.  I was lounging with the TV.  I was watching a James Ivory film called MAURICE.   It was about a fascinating storyline whereby a lover rejects him and the young man finds himself trapped by the oppressiveness of Edwardian society until he tries to come to terms with and accept his sexuality.  It starred Rupert Graves and James Wilby.   I really liked it.
Mom likes to come over and straighten-up my pad.   I have to admit I do love it when she sparkled-up my place with her finishing touches.  After she did a bit of dusting I persuaded her to take a photo of me with the TROLL she bought me in Las Vegas, Nevada.  Ha-ha…we left for her place after the photo for a late lunch.

PHOTO:  'me', mom and my cool TROLL
 I was also excited on this evening because Anne Alberti was coming over.   We had planned on a movie and I was hoping she wouldn’t FLAKE OUT like she has in the past.   I chose the movie MOONSTRUCK.  I had read about it in my PREMIERE magazine and it sounds good.   It’s about an Italian girl (played by CHER).   Given that Anne is Italian I figured it would be perfect.  CHER plays Loretta Castorini, a book keeper from Brooklyn, New York, who finds herself in a difficult situation when she falls for the brother of the man she agreed to marry (the best friend of her late husband who died seven years previously).  The brother she falls for is played by NICOLAS CAGE.   I’ve liked him ever since his BIRDY movie.

It’s funny because I received a postcard from 'Jim from the Gym' a few weeks ago while he was in Denver.   Jim takes Anne’s aerobics class a lot.  He always wears those sexy gray tights.   I know—like me---he has a crush on Anne.   The words he wrote on that postcard proved it.  I still cannot help but calling him "JIM FROM THE GYM".   That will forever be his nickname.

JIM FROM THE GYM wrote:
MIKE,
I'm having a great time!  
Denver has a lot of snow and it's cold but I'm keeping WARM! 
I hope you're taking good care of ANNE for me.  (I'm sure you are).  See ya when I get back.   STAY COOL.   JIM
I took a nap before Anne’s arrival.   I wanted to be rested and ready to go.   I was so excited when the doorbell rang.   She was wearing gray and black but I think she’d look good in any color.    I’m glad she came to my Christmas Party last month, so she knew exactly how to find my townhouse.
PHOTO:  'me' with Anne Alberti and a magazine cover of MOONSTRUCK
We left for the movie and it was really a fun dramatic romantic-comedy that we both enjoyed very much.   The song of the week was COULD’VE BEEN by Tiffany.   I was still at a rock and a hard place to know what could be.   I think Anne made me feel MOONSTRUCK; however, I called 'Jim From the Gym' that night.
"So, how'd it go?" Jim laughed.
"It was pretty good...but I don't know.   She seems fickle.  I think we should go out and see what other fish are in the pond."
"Okay...let's do it."
After I hung-up with Jim I looked in my dictionary for the definition of MOONSTRUCK.   It's an adjective.  The definition:   behaving in a silly or slightly crazy way, especially when you are in love...
“My story is whatever works.”  -as heard in the 2009 film, WHATEVER WORKS by Woody Allen
 
 

 
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • "THAT GIRL"
    'It seemed a shame that we could be so close in our letters and never see each other alone.' A WAY OF LIFE, LIKE ANY OTHER by Darcy ...
  • The Beginnings - Part 81: FORTY WHACKS
    When people gamble, they think only of winning. They never think of losing. Remember this: Someone has to lose and it’s just as apt to be yo...
  • The Beginnings - Part 137: IS THERE ANYTHING GOING ON...
    He was an arch-rogue, far more than his own underlings realized, full of playfulness, wit, slyness, delighting in magician’s tricks, in guis...
  • A 'No Go'
    If there was a surprise in all this, it was only that he didn’t give a damn anymore. Olen Steinhauer, THE NEAREST EXIT Twenty-five years ago...
  • The Beginnings - Part 8: GEOGRAPHICALLY UNDESIRABLE
    To ‘learn’ something was the dream of our lives. -Janet Frame An Autobiography PHOTOS OF THE DAY: July 11, 1987, Honolulu, Hawaii Meeting Le...
  • The Untouchables
    I chose the specialty of surgery because of Matron, that steady presence during my boyhood and adolescence. “What is the hardest thing you c...
  • The Beginnings - Part 113: THE HAUNTING PASSION
    “You’re not as complicated as you think you are.” -as heard during the 2006 film THE CURIOSITY OF CHANCE The Beginnings – Part 113:   THE H...
  • Itching
    I think this is why God made kids, so you can look at their mouths eating applesauce you are feeding to them and forget everybody else’s BS....
  • In The Nick of Time
    Ideas are ‘new combinations’ of old elements. -Michael J Armijo PHILOSOPHICAL STATMENTS Twenty-five years ago today: June 2, 1987 Tuesday Th...
  • The Beginnings - Part 116: I NEED SOMEONE
    “You’ve chosen a rather public place for a private meeting,” I note. “I’ve always found it best to hide in plain sight.” -Paul Russell ...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2014 (30)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ▼  February (4)
      • I Go Crazy...for Kelly Mullin
      • Together In Electric Dreams
      • Other Things On My Mind
      • The Young Man Finds Himself Trapped
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2013 (3)
    • ►  December (3)
  • ►  2012 (267)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (31)
    • ►  September (30)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (30)
    • ►  March (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile