gentle man

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Monday, 16 July 2012

The Beginnings – Part 13: AN INTERESTING CREATURE

Posted on 04:00 by Unknown
“Sometimes a man’s shadow is more in the room than he is.”
-as heard while watching
LOVE IS THE DEVIL, a 1998 motion picture about painter Francis Bacon

April 16, 1983

I had my car washed and had it polished and waxed at the South Shore Car Wash. I wanted the car clean for my date with Silvia Rabe.

I arrived early (two o’clock) instead of the intended four or five o’clock. I knew it would be fine with her. We looked for possible apartments for myself in the Contra Costa vicinity. We ate at SOUPERB SALAD at the WILLOWS SHOPPING CENTER. After that we went to see THE LOCAL HERO at the Festival Cinemas.

We returned to Silvia’s apartment again. I met her roommate, Brenda and Laurie (a friend of Brenda’s). We had spiked and veggie salted popcorn with orange juice. We talked and I was invited to go to Napa-Calistoga this coming Sunday.
I told Silvia, “Well, how about if I take a rain check on that because I need to sleep in and go on my long-distance bike ride.”
I left after giving Silvia a few of my voluptuous kisses. I wish she could walk normally and not have to use those Canadian crutches.
I told Silvia’s roommate Brenda, “You’re an interesting creature.”
She laughed at that description.
I later said to Silvia, “I hope she wasn’t insulted.”
“I think she’ll get over it.”
“I didn’t mean for it to be an insult. I picked up the line from that soap-opera called THE EDGE OF NIGHT. The character Ian had a chess partner and he called Raven, his love interest, an interestingly beautiful creature.”

When I left Silvia’s apartment I cruised over to THE HUB bar again in Walnut Creek. The bartender, Dave, remembered me. I think it’s because I left him a tip the night before. The only person I met of any interest was a former real estate chap and jogger from Albany. He gave me his telephone number. I don’t want to seem overly anxious about his invitation to jog together. After all, I’m a biker and not a jogger. Then again, I could hack the running trend. I’ve got good legs. I have him a ride in my car and then we simply parted ways with a polite good night. He was an interesting creature, too.

“But what LIFE is without its regrets?”
-Shyam Selvadurai
CINNAMON GARDENS, a novel

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • "THAT GIRL"
    'It seemed a shame that we could be so close in our letters and never see each other alone.' A WAY OF LIFE, LIKE ANY OTHER by Darcy ...
  • The Beginnings - Part 81: FORTY WHACKS
    When people gamble, they think only of winning. They never think of losing. Remember this: Someone has to lose and it’s just as apt to be yo...
  • The Beginnings - Part 137: IS THERE ANYTHING GOING ON...
    He was an arch-rogue, far more than his own underlings realized, full of playfulness, wit, slyness, delighting in magician’s tricks, in guis...
  • A 'No Go'
    If there was a surprise in all this, it was only that he didn’t give a damn anymore. Olen Steinhauer, THE NEAREST EXIT Twenty-five years ago...
  • The Beginnings - Part 8: GEOGRAPHICALLY UNDESIRABLE
    To ‘learn’ something was the dream of our lives. -Janet Frame An Autobiography PHOTOS OF THE DAY: July 11, 1987, Honolulu, Hawaii Meeting Le...
  • The Untouchables
    I chose the specialty of surgery because of Matron, that steady presence during my boyhood and adolescence. “What is the hardest thing you c...
  • The Beginnings - Part 113: THE HAUNTING PASSION
    “You’re not as complicated as you think you are.” -as heard during the 2006 film THE CURIOSITY OF CHANCE The Beginnings – Part 113:   THE H...
  • Itching
    I think this is why God made kids, so you can look at their mouths eating applesauce you are feeding to them and forget everybody else’s BS....
  • In The Nick of Time
    Ideas are ‘new combinations’ of old elements. -Michael J Armijo PHILOSOPHICAL STATMENTS Twenty-five years ago today: June 2, 1987 Tuesday Th...
  • The Beginnings - Part 116: I NEED SOMEONE
    “You’ve chosen a rather public place for a private meeting,” I note. “I’ve always found it best to hide in plain sight.” -Paul Russell ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (30)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2013 (3)
    • ►  December (3)
  • ▼  2012 (267)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (31)
    • ►  September (30)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ▼  July (31)
      • The Beginnings - Part 28: BODY WAVE
      • The Beginnings – Part 27: TINGLES UP AND DOWN HER ...
      • The Beginnings – Part 26: HOW LUCKY I AM
      • The Beginnings – Part 25: HORROR MOVIES, A NEW LOV...
      • The Beginnings – Part 24: CHAPPED LIPS
      • The Beginnings – Part 23: A FLYING ELEPHANT
      • The Beginnings – Part 22: TWENTY-FOUR YEARS OLD
      • The Beginnings – Part 21: LOVERBOY
      • The Beginnings – Part 20: MY VERY OWN APARTMENT IN...
      • The Beginnings – Part 19: GO WITH THE FLOW
      • The Beginnings – Part 18: LIFE HAS PURPOSE
      • The Beginnings – Part 17: SANTA CRUZ, THE EXCURSION
      • The Beginnings – Part 16: MY FAVORITE CURRENT EVENT
      • The Beginnings – Part 15: BREAKING AWAY
      • The Beginnings – Part 14: THE OMEGA MAN and GO ASK...
      • The Beginnings – Part 13: AN INTERESTING CREATURE
      • The Beginnings – Part 12: HAIRDRESSER ON FIRE
      • The Beginnings – Part 11: TWO TICKETS TO PARADISE
      • The Beginnings - Part 10: ARE YOU FOR REAL?
      • The Beginnings - Part 9: NEVER ASSUME or ART OF K...
      • The Beginnings - Part 8: GEOGRAPHICALLY UNDESIRABLE
      • The Beginnings - Part 7: THAT EROTIC VALENTINE'S ...
      • The Beginnings - Part 6: THE MEANING OF LIFE
      • The Beginnings - Part 5: HIGH WINDS
      • The Beginnings - Part 4: THIS EVENTFUL TRIP
      • The Beginnings - Part 3: LONELINESS
      • The Beginnings - Part 2: IN THE MOOD FOR DANCING
      • The Beginnings - Part I: DIARY
      • The Interaction Between Two Urges
      • Taking the Liberty to Screw Things Up
      • I Made It Through
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (30)
    • ►  March (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile