gentle man

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Saturday, 25 August 2012

The Beginnings - Part 53: A PISCES

Posted on 04:00 by Unknown
The Wisdom of Silversleeves (during a game of chess with his son, Henri)

“I have an interesting case to consider,” he began. “A man with debts.” He gazed at his son thoughtfully. “Who, generally, is stronger, Henri—a man with cash or a man with debts?”
“A man with cash.”
“Suppose though, that a man owes you a debt and can’t pay?”
“He’ll be ruined,” Henri replied coolly.
“But then you lose what you have lent him.”
“Unless I seize all he has in payment. But if that’s worth nothing, then I lose.”
“So as long as he owes you money, you fear him?” Seeing Henri nod, he went on. “But now consider this. What if this man can in fact pay you what he owes, but chooses not to? Now you fear him because he has your money, but since he can pay, he does not fear you.”
“I agree.”
“Very well then. Suppose now, Henri, that you need that money badly. He offers to settle for less than he owes. Do you take it?”
“I might have to.”
“Indeed you might. And now, do you not agree, he has made money out of you? Therefore, because of the debt he owed, he was stronger.”
“It will depend on whether he wants to do business with me again,” Henri said.
“Silversleeves shook his head, “No. It will depend on many things,” he replied. “On timing, on whether you need each other, on other opportunities, on who has more powerful friends. It is a question of hidden balances. Just like this game of chess.” He passed deliberately. “Always remember this, Henri. Men trade for profit. They are driven by greed. But debt is about fear, and fear is stronger than greed. The true power, the weapon that defeats all others, is debt. Fools search for gold. The wise man studies debt. That is the key to all business.” He smiled, then reached out his hand again, “Checkmate.”

The Beginnings – Part 53: A PISCES

July 6, 1983

The days at work are dragging now.

I telephoned George and we may go to a movie on Thursday night.
George said, “Ken’s roommate wants to meet you.”
“Is he as nice as you?” I asked.
“Yes, maybe all four of us can go to the Drive-In…in separate cars, of course.”
I honestly don’t know for sure what the agenda will be for tomorrow. I began to wonder how George’s job-hunting is progressing. I have a feeling that he aspires to be quite wealthy some day. I think he will. The idea of living with him in Greece sounds like a tough one. He actually threw that one out as a futuristic idea. It does sound like a good idea that is worth considering.

I look forward to when we can indulge on plans to camp out in the Northern California area of Westwood (near Chester/Redding) where he grew up. We also want to go to Newport Beach.

As I ponder my relationships with Frank, Tammy and George I find that George is the most impressive. He’s funny and the most fulfilling for me. He is a PISCES. Who would have ever thought that a PISCES would do me in? I.D.J.L.Y.B.E.B.M.M. (I don’t just love your blue eyes but much more.) I yearn to see George when I am away from him for too damn long.

I accompanied Helen Wong to the MACY’s CLEARANCE CENTER tonight to shop for some new clothes. I also spent my lunch hour with her. She’s so sweet. I’m glad I talked her into getting a little gray mini-skirt. She’ll look great in it. I bought a black shirt, a couple of tank-tops, a T-shirt, underwear and socks. She prepared a Quiche Lorraine at her house after the shopping. After that nice meal I returned home.

I telephoned Frank, feeling the need to talk to him. I had the feeling he would be depressed. I wanted to cheer him up.
“Can you give me more details about what’s going on with you and George?” Frank asked.
That threw me for a loop. I chose not to budge, keeping it low key. Why depress him even more?
I finally said, “Let’s just say I like him a lot.”
I do love spending time with George. It’s true.

He wanted to make this moment last as long as possible, to stretch it all the way to infinity.
-Isabel Allende
THE HOUSE OF THE SPIRITS, The Three Marias

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • "THAT GIRL"
    'It seemed a shame that we could be so close in our letters and never see each other alone.' A WAY OF LIFE, LIKE ANY OTHER by Darcy ...
  • The Beginnings - Part 81: FORTY WHACKS
    When people gamble, they think only of winning. They never think of losing. Remember this: Someone has to lose and it’s just as apt to be yo...
  • The Beginnings - Part 137: IS THERE ANYTHING GOING ON...
    He was an arch-rogue, far more than his own underlings realized, full of playfulness, wit, slyness, delighting in magician’s tricks, in guis...
  • A 'No Go'
    If there was a surprise in all this, it was only that he didn’t give a damn anymore. Olen Steinhauer, THE NEAREST EXIT Twenty-five years ago...
  • The Beginnings - Part 8: GEOGRAPHICALLY UNDESIRABLE
    To ‘learn’ something was the dream of our lives. -Janet Frame An Autobiography PHOTOS OF THE DAY: July 11, 1987, Honolulu, Hawaii Meeting Le...
  • I Made It Through
    “You’d been living all your life with this secret side, and it never really occurred to you to share it with me.” -Olen Steinhauer THE NEAR...
  • The Beginnings - Part 94: A HONEYMOON
    The sky was celebration blue.   Clouds floated by like spoonfuls of buttery mashed potato, and the verdant grasses below them were all spark...
  • The Untouchables
    I chose the specialty of surgery because of Matron, that steady presence during my boyhood and adolescence. “What is the hardest thing you c...
  • The Beginnings - Part 113: THE HAUNTING PASSION
    “You’re not as complicated as you think you are.” -as heard during the 2006 film THE CURIOSITY OF CHANCE The Beginnings – Part 113:   THE H...
  • Itching
    I think this is why God made kids, so you can look at their mouths eating applesauce you are feeding to them and forget everybody else’s BS....

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (30)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2013 (3)
    • ►  December (3)
  • ▼  2012 (267)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (31)
    • ►  September (30)
    • ▼  August (31)
      • The Beginnings - Part 59: SUPERMAN
      • The Beginnings - Part 58: CINDERELLA
      • The Beginnings - Part 57: HE WAS SILENT
      • The Beginnings - Part 56: THINK I'M IN LOVE
      • The Beginnings - Part 55: MESMERIZED
      • The Beginnings - Part 54: SUCH A PREDICAMENT
      • The Beginnings - Part 53: A PISCES
      • The Beginnings - Part 52: HE'S NOT A GIRL
      • The Beginnings - Part 51: H.O.H. (Head Over Heels)
      • The Beginnings - Part 50: THE SENSUOUS MAN
      • The Beginnings - Part 49: GAMES
      • The Beginnings - Part 48: A WIDER PERSPECTIVE
      • The Beginnings - Part 47: PULL OFF THE COVERS
      • The Beginnings - Part 46: A KISSING TACTIC
      • The Beginnings - Part 45: WOES AND BEAUS
      • The Beginnings - Part 44: KISSING TAMMY
      • The Beginnings - Part 43: RELATIONSHIPS ARE LIKE ...
      • The Beginnings - Part 42: OPEN ARMS
      • The Beginnings - Part 41: GET IT GIRL!
      • The Beginnings - Part 40: HISTORY
      • The Beginnings - Part 39: BABY, IT'S YOU
      • The Beginnings - Part 38: WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN
      • The Beginnings - Part 37: EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE
      • The Beginnings - Part 36: MY NEW WHEELS
      • The Beginnings - Part 35: ECHO BEACH
      • The Beginnings - Part 34: MY TWENTY-FOURTH BIRTHDAY
      • The Beginnings - Part 33: ON A QUEST
      • The Beginnings – Part 32: BOB HOPE is ‘80’
      • The Beginnings - Part 31: MAKE A CIRCUIT WITH ME
      • The Beginnings - Part 30: MY HAIRLESS UPPER LIP
      • The Beginnings - Part 29: SHE WALKED AWAY
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (30)
    • ►  March (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile