gentle man

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Wednesday, 1 August 2012

The Beginnings - Part 29: SHE WALKED AWAY

Posted on 04:00 by Unknown
After a dozen failed relationships since her teens, she was tending towards the theory that stability was overrated.
-Stieg Larsson
THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET’S NEST

The Beginnings – Part 29: SHE WALKED AWAY

May 14, 1983

I drove my Aunt Betty to see some run-down Dance Studio on Lafayette Street in Alameda. I’m not so sure she was impressed.
Betty said, “Mmmm…forget it.”
My Aunt Betty and Grandmother were visiting for a while. After they took a look at my new car they returned to their home in Oakland.

This morning I ate my pancakes with strawberry and whipped cream. I was feeling rather guilty about it so I rode my bicycle to the beach, Lake Merritt and up through Downtown Oakland via Broadway and on to Lake Temescal. I saw Lisa Pingatore with some black dude.
I asked her, “So, why haven’t you returned my calls?”
She came up with some flimsy excuse.
She did say, “Call me again.”
“Shit,” I thought, as I felt she wasn’t very encouraging in terms of a long-term relationship.

I met some juvenile delinquent girl named Mary at the park. She had braces on and wasn’t very cute but we had a nice chat.
I asked, “What do you do?”
Mary replied, “I work from eight until four pulling weeds with a bunch of other juveniles.”
I smiled at her honesty.
There were some other interesting looking people lying out near Lake Temescal. I left and headed back to Alameda.

I ate a few fresh tortillas with some salami and cheese. I gulped down some orange juice, too. I was hungry. I fell asleep after the meal.

Before I had left for the bike ride I did receive a phone call from Doug Siu.
“Are we still on for the dinner date with my chums at CHARLIE BROWNS?”
“I’m going to have to take a rain check because I ‘sort of’ have this other date.”
“Oh I see,” Doug said, sounding rather disappointed.
Well, I did meet Karen Caster last night, right? I phoned her this morning.
Karen said, “I’m going sailing across the Bay today.”
I felt the cold shoulder treatment, so I said, “Okay, well here’s my telephone number.”
Surprisingly, she said, “Okay, I’ll call you tonight.”
I am relying on her word. I am waiting on her promised phone call.

Well, time passed and I was ‘faced’ again. Karen never called.
I chose to telephone her one more time.
She explained, “My mom made plans for company to come over.”
I thought silently, “What a likely story.”
I hoped it wasn’t just an excuse. I am hoping we will keep our date for next Friday.

My brother, John, said today, “You have guts!”
“Why?”
“…because you got your hair body-waved.”
I laughed. I took it as a compliment and said, “Well, you only live once.”

I purchased a sofa, loveseat, mirrored tables and nice lamps. I’m feeling as though I’m a rich man to be able to buy all of these things. I am satisfied with all that I have thus far.

May 15, 1983

I sent Karen Caster the ‘She Walked Away’ greeting card. I sure hope she doesn’t walk away from me. I love her big, blue eyes. I love her smile, too, for that matter. I will not even mention how I like her figure, blond hair and good looking girlfriends: Dina, Nina and Lisa.

I stayed home most of the day.

My brother, John, and I spent time lying out in the backyard for a while. By evening I was watching a film based on a book by D.H. Lawrence called SONS AND LOVERS with my mom. We also watched a Lauren Bacall film called THE FAN.

May 16, 1983

Well, the real test came at work today. I wanted to see the reaction to my body wave. Many noticed a change but couldn’t quite place what the change had been. Some others thought it looked good after they got used to it (I guess).

It was nice to come home and wash my hair after three days. I was told to wait three days before I washed it. It was a nice summer day. I decided to remain home after my shower and shampoo. I simply watched the tube.

I telephoned Mark Beam, the guy I met on Waikiki Beach, who lives in Berkeley. I left a message with his roommate (named Jack).
Mark called back and said, “I’m considering a move to Hawaii or Hayward.”
I thought both places to be so different with the exception that they both started with the letter “H”. That was funny. I gave Mark my new telephone number.

I also spoke to Barbara Reynolds about my body wave, her trip to Yosemite National Park and ex-lovers and present lover. She’s in another world.

May 17, 1983

At precisely 9AM my dipshit boss realized that I had specialized overseas training scheduled today. And so, I left the office for the training. I returned at about 1:30PM. David Vigil, a coworker, had the same training on overseas phone calls. We took our first break together and discussed transfers to Yellow Page Advertising Sales as well as our forthcoming office cruise (and my Birthday).

I am sure Karen Caster and Christa Keller have received the cards I sent them. Have I heard anything? No, I have yet to get a response from either one of them. I may call them tomorrow night.

I don’t feel to ‘spiffy’ tonight. I think it’s because I napped until 8:30PM. I neglected to ride my bike as I had intended. Instead I ate a large bowl of COCOA PEBBLES. I don’t feel as in-shape as I would have if I’d gone for that bike ride. Oh well…

He looked down at the lies on the page in front of him and felt a great contradiction within him. His spirits plummeted; his heart was cold with despair of his own, as if some tenacity had been sucked out of him and at the same moment replaced with a rage that was so far distant from his normal character that it was almost unrecognizable.
-John Katzenbach
THE ANALYST

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • "THAT GIRL"
    'It seemed a shame that we could be so close in our letters and never see each other alone.' A WAY OF LIFE, LIKE ANY OTHER by Darcy ...
  • The Beginnings - Part 81: FORTY WHACKS
    When people gamble, they think only of winning. They never think of losing. Remember this: Someone has to lose and it’s just as apt to be yo...
  • The Beginnings - Part 137: IS THERE ANYTHING GOING ON...
    He was an arch-rogue, far more than his own underlings realized, full of playfulness, wit, slyness, delighting in magician’s tricks, in guis...
  • A 'No Go'
    If there was a surprise in all this, it was only that he didn’t give a damn anymore. Olen Steinhauer, THE NEAREST EXIT Twenty-five years ago...
  • The Beginnings - Part 8: GEOGRAPHICALLY UNDESIRABLE
    To ‘learn’ something was the dream of our lives. -Janet Frame An Autobiography PHOTOS OF THE DAY: July 11, 1987, Honolulu, Hawaii Meeting Le...
  • The Untouchables
    I chose the specialty of surgery because of Matron, that steady presence during my boyhood and adolescence. “What is the hardest thing you c...
  • The Beginnings - Part 113: THE HAUNTING PASSION
    “You’re not as complicated as you think you are.” -as heard during the 2006 film THE CURIOSITY OF CHANCE The Beginnings – Part 113:   THE H...
  • Itching
    I think this is why God made kids, so you can look at their mouths eating applesauce you are feeding to them and forget everybody else’s BS....
  • In The Nick of Time
    Ideas are ‘new combinations’ of old elements. -Michael J Armijo PHILOSOPHICAL STATMENTS Twenty-five years ago today: June 2, 1987 Tuesday Th...
  • The Beginnings - Part 116: I NEED SOMEONE
    “You’ve chosen a rather public place for a private meeting,” I note. “I’ve always found it best to hide in plain sight.” -Paul Russell ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (30)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2013 (3)
    • ►  December (3)
  • ▼  2012 (267)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (31)
    • ►  September (30)
    • ▼  August (31)
      • The Beginnings - Part 59: SUPERMAN
      • The Beginnings - Part 58: CINDERELLA
      • The Beginnings - Part 57: HE WAS SILENT
      • The Beginnings - Part 56: THINK I'M IN LOVE
      • The Beginnings - Part 55: MESMERIZED
      • The Beginnings - Part 54: SUCH A PREDICAMENT
      • The Beginnings - Part 53: A PISCES
      • The Beginnings - Part 52: HE'S NOT A GIRL
      • The Beginnings - Part 51: H.O.H. (Head Over Heels)
      • The Beginnings - Part 50: THE SENSUOUS MAN
      • The Beginnings - Part 49: GAMES
      • The Beginnings - Part 48: A WIDER PERSPECTIVE
      • The Beginnings - Part 47: PULL OFF THE COVERS
      • The Beginnings - Part 46: A KISSING TACTIC
      • The Beginnings - Part 45: WOES AND BEAUS
      • The Beginnings - Part 44: KISSING TAMMY
      • The Beginnings - Part 43: RELATIONSHIPS ARE LIKE ...
      • The Beginnings - Part 42: OPEN ARMS
      • The Beginnings - Part 41: GET IT GIRL!
      • The Beginnings - Part 40: HISTORY
      • The Beginnings - Part 39: BABY, IT'S YOU
      • The Beginnings - Part 38: WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN
      • The Beginnings - Part 37: EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE
      • The Beginnings - Part 36: MY NEW WHEELS
      • The Beginnings - Part 35: ECHO BEACH
      • The Beginnings - Part 34: MY TWENTY-FOURTH BIRTHDAY
      • The Beginnings - Part 33: ON A QUEST
      • The Beginnings – Part 32: BOB HOPE is ‘80’
      • The Beginnings - Part 31: MAKE A CIRCUIT WITH ME
      • The Beginnings - Part 30: MY HAIRLESS UPPER LIP
      • The Beginnings - Part 29: SHE WALKED AWAY
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (30)
    • ►  March (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile