gentle man

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Sunday, 5 August 2012

The Beginnings - Part 33: ON A QUEST

Posted on 04:00 by Unknown
“The measure of success is how we cope with disappointment.”
-The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
2012 motion-picture

The Beginnings – Part 33: ON A QUEST

May 24, 1983

Here I am at almost twenty-four years old (in just two days).

I had a special half hour of business development time with my supervisor. He discussed my sales efforts. My tub mate, Pat, is feeling upset about the pressure for having to sell so much. I felt good because I managed to sell two-hundred dollars in gift certificates along with four custom-calling features.

After my work day Suzy and I went on the planned bike ride around Alameda. It was fun to cruise around with her. We had a good time.

I telephoned Jackie Woods and we chatted for a while. Jackie loves to gossip.
She gasped excitedly, “Do you remember ‘Catcha’?”
“No, who is she?”
“You know…that Indonesian-Black waitress at the STAR GAZE club.”
“Oh yeah, what about her?”
“Well, she was in jail for using credit cards…someone else’s credit cards ILLEGALLY!”
“You’re kidding!”
“No, she has to stay in jail for six months.”
That was a surprise. Yikes!

I also called Traci Hill. She wasn’t home. I spoke to her mother.
Traci’s mother explained that she wasn’t home and asked, “May I take a message?”
“Well, yes…could you tell her Mike called?”
“Okay…uh…does she have your number?”
“Yes, I think so.”
“Are you the one who sent the card?”
“Yes, I am.”
“Oh, okay…I’ll tell her you called.”
And so ‘whoopee’.  I wonder if that means she will call me. I am crossing my fingers. I’m on a quest.

I wrote a ‘cheer up’ card for my tub mate, Pat Overshoun. She feels so pressed about the sales pressures at work. I wanted to make her feel better. I sent her the ‘Having-A-Ball’ phone booth card. I love that card. I know it will make her laugh.

Christopher Columbus’s quest, we tend to forget was sensuous as well as capitalistic, adventuresome, and ego-driven. It was partly the obsessive demand for exotic spices and perfumes that prompted him to set sail in the first place.
-Diane Ackerman
A NATURAL HISTORY OF THE SENSES



Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • "THAT GIRL"
    'It seemed a shame that we could be so close in our letters and never see each other alone.' A WAY OF LIFE, LIKE ANY OTHER by Darcy ...
  • The Beginnings - Part 81: FORTY WHACKS
    When people gamble, they think only of winning. They never think of losing. Remember this: Someone has to lose and it’s just as apt to be yo...
  • The Beginnings - Part 137: IS THERE ANYTHING GOING ON...
    He was an arch-rogue, far more than his own underlings realized, full of playfulness, wit, slyness, delighting in magician’s tricks, in guis...
  • A 'No Go'
    If there was a surprise in all this, it was only that he didn’t give a damn anymore. Olen Steinhauer, THE NEAREST EXIT Twenty-five years ago...
  • The Beginnings - Part 8: GEOGRAPHICALLY UNDESIRABLE
    To ‘learn’ something was the dream of our lives. -Janet Frame An Autobiography PHOTOS OF THE DAY: July 11, 1987, Honolulu, Hawaii Meeting Le...
  • The Untouchables
    I chose the specialty of surgery because of Matron, that steady presence during my boyhood and adolescence. “What is the hardest thing you c...
  • The Beginnings - Part 113: THE HAUNTING PASSION
    “You’re not as complicated as you think you are.” -as heard during the 2006 film THE CURIOSITY OF CHANCE The Beginnings – Part 113:   THE H...
  • Itching
    I think this is why God made kids, so you can look at their mouths eating applesauce you are feeding to them and forget everybody else’s BS....
  • In The Nick of Time
    Ideas are ‘new combinations’ of old elements. -Michael J Armijo PHILOSOPHICAL STATMENTS Twenty-five years ago today: June 2, 1987 Tuesday Th...
  • The Beginnings - Part 116: I NEED SOMEONE
    “You’ve chosen a rather public place for a private meeting,” I note. “I’ve always found it best to hide in plain sight.” -Paul Russell ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (30)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2013 (3)
    • ►  December (3)
  • ▼  2012 (267)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (31)
    • ►  September (30)
    • ▼  August (31)
      • The Beginnings - Part 59: SUPERMAN
      • The Beginnings - Part 58: CINDERELLA
      • The Beginnings - Part 57: HE WAS SILENT
      • The Beginnings - Part 56: THINK I'M IN LOVE
      • The Beginnings - Part 55: MESMERIZED
      • The Beginnings - Part 54: SUCH A PREDICAMENT
      • The Beginnings - Part 53: A PISCES
      • The Beginnings - Part 52: HE'S NOT A GIRL
      • The Beginnings - Part 51: H.O.H. (Head Over Heels)
      • The Beginnings - Part 50: THE SENSUOUS MAN
      • The Beginnings - Part 49: GAMES
      • The Beginnings - Part 48: A WIDER PERSPECTIVE
      • The Beginnings - Part 47: PULL OFF THE COVERS
      • The Beginnings - Part 46: A KISSING TACTIC
      • The Beginnings - Part 45: WOES AND BEAUS
      • The Beginnings - Part 44: KISSING TAMMY
      • The Beginnings - Part 43: RELATIONSHIPS ARE LIKE ...
      • The Beginnings - Part 42: OPEN ARMS
      • The Beginnings - Part 41: GET IT GIRL!
      • The Beginnings - Part 40: HISTORY
      • The Beginnings - Part 39: BABY, IT'S YOU
      • The Beginnings - Part 38: WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN
      • The Beginnings - Part 37: EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE
      • The Beginnings - Part 36: MY NEW WHEELS
      • The Beginnings - Part 35: ECHO BEACH
      • The Beginnings - Part 34: MY TWENTY-FOURTH BIRTHDAY
      • The Beginnings - Part 33: ON A QUEST
      • The Beginnings – Part 32: BOB HOPE is ‘80’
      • The Beginnings - Part 31: MAKE A CIRCUIT WITH ME
      • The Beginnings - Part 30: MY HAIRLESS UPPER LIP
      • The Beginnings - Part 29: SHE WALKED AWAY
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (30)
    • ►  March (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile