gentle man

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Friday, 6 April 2012

A Sheepherder

Posted on 04:00 by Unknown
I was once asked if I’d like to meet the President of a certain country.
I said, “No. But I’d love to meet some sheepherders.”
The sheepherders, farmers and taxi drivers are often the most fascinating people.
-James Michener (1907-1997)
American author

Twenty-five years ago today:

April 6, 1987
Monday

Carla waltzed in to the office an hour late using the ‘I forgot to change my clock an hour ahead’ excuse. She’s such a bull-shitter. The ironic thing is that she gets away with it. We ate lunch together at NATOMA’s today.

I telephoned Eileen Grabinsky after work and gave her some new insight on her sixteen year old crank calling prankster. His name is Michael Dean and I looked at his phone bill.  He seems to be a spoiled South City brat with his own phone.

I was reading a book and realized that sometimes we ALL do things that we’re ashamed of. I pondered that thought, realizing that I haven’t really been so bad.

I went bicycling and made it to the gym as well.
Dave Trapp asked, “Hey, where have you been?”
I just shrugged my shoulders while pedaling hard on the Life Cycle.
Patty was there, too and she asked, “Where have you been?”
“I’ve been working hard,” I replied.
Patty continued, “I was even wondering what had happened to Mark.”
“Oh yeah,” I explained, “His gym membership expired so he’s waiting on a good deal before he joins up again.”

I arrived back home and returned a phone call to my Dad.
Before he could ask I said, “You can expect the rent check on my next pay period.”
We talked about the decreasing value of the dollar in Japan. That was kind of interesting.  Dad was being so kind and I don't even think he had planned to mention the fact that I was a few days late with the rent.
“So what else is new?” I asked.
Dad answered, “Well…you know mom is taking Wednesday through Friday off to help me with the income tax.”
“Oh yeah, that’s why you took your vacation week now.”
“You know, Mike, I’m going to retire when I’m fifty-five.”
“That’s great,” I said, wanting to make him feel good.
I was actually rather envious. I know he wants that farm in New Mexico someday and the concept of his father/my grandfather being a sheepherder at one time crossed my mind.

Carla and I read an article in the Wall Street Journal today about how AIDS is going to bring about an upswing in ‘virgin to virgin’ marriages, early marriages and fewer one-night stands. This could lead to more and more children like the 1950’s.
Carla disagreed with the article.
“It’s not true, Michael. I’m not anxious to get married.”
“You’re not?”
“No, are you?”
“No,” I answered abruptly.
Then I began to wonder whether or not I am actually anxious. Perhaps I do ‘sort of’ feel like having a family life sooner versus later.
I thought to myself, “Let’s just see where the next couple of years guide me.”

Bette Davis will be a guest with JOAN RIVERS on The Tonight Show tomorrow night. I really want to see that interview.

The journey--not the arrival--matters.
-T.S. Eliot (1888-1965)
American born English poet

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • "THAT GIRL"
    'It seemed a shame that we could be so close in our letters and never see each other alone.' A WAY OF LIFE, LIKE ANY OTHER by Darcy ...
  • The Beginnings - Part 81: FORTY WHACKS
    When people gamble, they think only of winning. They never think of losing. Remember this: Someone has to lose and it’s just as apt to be yo...
  • The Beginnings - Part 137: IS THERE ANYTHING GOING ON...
    He was an arch-rogue, far more than his own underlings realized, full of playfulness, wit, slyness, delighting in magician’s tricks, in guis...
  • A 'No Go'
    If there was a surprise in all this, it was only that he didn’t give a damn anymore. Olen Steinhauer, THE NEAREST EXIT Twenty-five years ago...
  • The Beginnings - Part 150: I AM NOW SUSPICIOUS
    “I’ve had dreams as well…dreams I never fully understood until this moment.    But now they make a certain kind of sense.” -Paul Russell THE...
  • The Beginnings - Part 8: GEOGRAPHICALLY UNDESIRABLE
    To ‘learn’ something was the dream of our lives. -Janet Frame An Autobiography PHOTOS OF THE DAY: July 11, 1987, Honolulu, Hawaii Meeting Le...
  • I Made It Through
    “You’d been living all your life with this secret side, and it never really occurred to you to share it with me.” -Olen Steinhauer THE NEAR...
  • The Beginnings - Part 94: A HONEYMOON
    The sky was celebration blue.   Clouds floated by like spoonfuls of buttery mashed potato, and the verdant grasses below them were all spark...
  • The Beginnings - Part 97: FRIGID, GROUCHY AND UNRESPONSIVE
    Fashion Designer, Karl Lagerfeld, had his own word for his fashion method:   ‘vampirising’.    As early as 1975 he admitted, “I am a so...
  • The Untouchables
    I chose the specialty of surgery because of Matron, that steady presence during my boyhood and adolescence. “What is the hardest thing you c...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (30)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2013 (3)
    • ►  December (3)
  • ▼  2012 (267)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (31)
    • ►  September (30)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ▼  April (30)
      • A Vegetarian Dinner
      • It's So Perpendicular
      • Have You Ever 'Had' Anything?
      • Randomness: I WANT TO LIVE
      • Colorful Energy
      • A Hot, Sunny Day
      • Could Be Serious
      • My White Pants
      • Meeting Up
      • Up In The Air
      • Itching
      • Easter Sunday
      • Selecting Tunes
      • Beds Are Burning
      • Reconciled Our Differences
      • Voices Are Deceiving
      • My Merry Way
      • Flauntable
      • Secret Life
      • Obsessive Love
      • A Wake-Up Call
      • Too Involved
      • Move It
      • It Sounds Morbid
      • A Sheepherder
      • The Big Questions
      • A Twin-Sized Bed
      • Twenty-Six: A New Sail
      • Every Time I Think Of You
      • The Introductory Phase
    • ►  March (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile