gentle man

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Friday, 13 April 2012

Flauntable

Posted on 01:42 by Unknown
“Even while facing the future I knew there were some memories from the past still worth remembering.”
-KYLE-XY, Season II

Twenty-five years ago today:

April 13, 1987
Monday

Carla is extremely excited about her trip to Mexico now. I wouldn’t be so hyped-up about that getaway though. If I was going with my ma and pa to an area with Spanish colonial-style influence like Zacatecas it would be fun. Carla escaped the office early to join her mother in acquiring passports and other arrangements.

I went for a hot dog on Market Street with Freddie.

I received my IRS tax refund. It was a measly $422.

After work I took a nap and then made that phone call to Eileen Grabinsky. I could easily tell by her tone of voice that she was ‘pissed’. Somehow I was able to get her to discuss the situation. I still feel I made a valid point about parking in the driveway but she’s too immature to understand. Why she would want me to park a block away is beyond me. Anyway, the conversation ended with a planned get-together for this Thursday night and I will get my camera back, too.

I didn’t bother to bike ride after work but I did make it to the gym. I left for the gym by seven-thirty and was home by 9:40PM.

Upon my return home I had an answering machine message from Jeff (in Hawaii). I tried to return his call but he wasn’t home.

My phone rang again and it was that Greek chap from San Mateo that I met yesterday named Tom Hlebakos. We had exchanged telephone numbers verbally and he actually remembered mine. He is from Huntington Beach but is living in San Mateo now.
Tom asked, “Why don’t you come on over one day this week?”
I figured ‘what the heck’. I could get to know him a little better. It would also break the monotony of my work week. I never made any definitive plans though.

It only took me about twenty minutes to get from San Francisco to San Mateo during commute hours the other day. It sure did beat taking the Bay Bridge and then going over the San Mateo Bridge. I didn’t know it would be so easy, so I had all of this time to spare when I went to see Eileen the last time. Tom Hlebakos is a nice guy…but that’s it…just a nice chap.

I thought again about my conversation with Eileen earlier. She’s something else. She practically didn’t want to talk to me at all (talk about immature). In her fit of defense she did mention something that caught my ears.
Eileen shouted, “You just like to flaunt!”
I honestly don’t believe that I do but—in a way—it’s flattering to know that I am “flauntable”. Ha-ha.

After writing this blog I did an internet search for Tom Hlebakos. I found an obituary that stated his father, James Thomas Hlebakos, had died on April 22, 2011. In the obituary it mentioned his LATE son, Tom Hlebakos. I guess Tom passed away at some point.


James Thomas Hlebakos Late of Millbrae and San Mateo County resident for 35 years, entered into rest at his home on April 22, 2011. Beloved husband of Marie Hlebakos for 57 years. Loving father of Helen Edson (her fiancé Robert Bertron) and the late Tom Hlebakos. Dear brother of Harriet Lucas (her husband Jerry) and Ruby Corids (her husband DeMetre). Also survived by his cherished grandchildren Jennifer and Erica, along with his many nieces, nephews and cousins. A native of Manteca, California, age 82 years. Former partner of "Alex D. Corids and Son Produce Company, Inc." in South San Francisco, and a member of Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church in San Francisco since 1959.

Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
German writer

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • "THAT GIRL"
    'It seemed a shame that we could be so close in our letters and never see each other alone.' A WAY OF LIFE, LIKE ANY OTHER by Darcy ...
  • The Beginnings - Part 81: FORTY WHACKS
    When people gamble, they think only of winning. They never think of losing. Remember this: Someone has to lose and it’s just as apt to be yo...
  • The Beginnings - Part 137: IS THERE ANYTHING GOING ON...
    He was an arch-rogue, far more than his own underlings realized, full of playfulness, wit, slyness, delighting in magician’s tricks, in guis...
  • A 'No Go'
    If there was a surprise in all this, it was only that he didn’t give a damn anymore. Olen Steinhauer, THE NEAREST EXIT Twenty-five years ago...
  • The Beginnings - Part 8: GEOGRAPHICALLY UNDESIRABLE
    To ‘learn’ something was the dream of our lives. -Janet Frame An Autobiography PHOTOS OF THE DAY: July 11, 1987, Honolulu, Hawaii Meeting Le...
  • The Untouchables
    I chose the specialty of surgery because of Matron, that steady presence during my boyhood and adolescence. “What is the hardest thing you c...
  • The Beginnings - Part 113: THE HAUNTING PASSION
    “You’re not as complicated as you think you are.” -as heard during the 2006 film THE CURIOSITY OF CHANCE The Beginnings – Part 113:   THE H...
  • Itching
    I think this is why God made kids, so you can look at their mouths eating applesauce you are feeding to them and forget everybody else’s BS....
  • In The Nick of Time
    Ideas are ‘new combinations’ of old elements. -Michael J Armijo PHILOSOPHICAL STATMENTS Twenty-five years ago today: June 2, 1987 Tuesday Th...
  • The Beginnings - Part 116: I NEED SOMEONE
    “You’ve chosen a rather public place for a private meeting,” I note. “I’ve always found it best to hide in plain sight.” -Paul Russell ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (30)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2013 (3)
    • ►  December (3)
  • ▼  2012 (267)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (31)
    • ►  September (30)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ▼  April (30)
      • A Vegetarian Dinner
      • It's So Perpendicular
      • Have You Ever 'Had' Anything?
      • Randomness: I WANT TO LIVE
      • Colorful Energy
      • A Hot, Sunny Day
      • Could Be Serious
      • My White Pants
      • Meeting Up
      • Up In The Air
      • Itching
      • Easter Sunday
      • Selecting Tunes
      • Beds Are Burning
      • Reconciled Our Differences
      • Voices Are Deceiving
      • My Merry Way
      • Flauntable
      • Secret Life
      • Obsessive Love
      • A Wake-Up Call
      • Too Involved
      • Move It
      • It Sounds Morbid
      • A Sheepherder
      • The Big Questions
      • A Twin-Sized Bed
      • Twenty-Six: A New Sail
      • Every Time I Think Of You
      • The Introductory Phase
    • ►  March (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile