gentle man

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Friday, 25 May 2012

Being Super Sweet

Posted on 04:00 by Unknown
You would think as you get older your mind would fill up with what they call the spiritual side of things, but mine just seems to get more and more practical, trying to get something settled.

-Alice Munro
OPEN SECRETS, Short Stories: Carrie Away

Twenty-five years ago today:

May 25, 1987
Monday

It was the Memorial Day holiday.  Jeff Sombat called me from Hawaii to say, “Happy Birthday”! That was nice.

I rented a movie called RUTHLESS PEOPLE. It was okay. The other videotape I rented (DOWN AND OUT IN BEVERLY HILLS) was defective, so I never did really see it. It was truly a lounge about sort of day…quite nice.

Tony, Helen and Lauren stopped by and gave me a ‘stamp of a bike’ and some underwear for my birthday. The underwear was a little odd---but I’ll use them. Ha-ha.

Mom came over to wash her car in my driveway. I didn’t mind. In fact, I liked the company. Tony couldn’t help himself and decided to wash his car, too. I didn’t wash mine though. I just didn’t feel like it.

Chris Cordellos called to wish me a Pre-Happy Birthday.
Chris asked, “Hey, do you want to go to dinner tomorrow night?”
“Sure, that would be great.”
He’s too cool.
I watched a TV-movie called MURDER ORDAINED. It was based on a true story.   I took a quick shower.  As I was getting ready for bed the phone rang.

Eileen had finally called me. It was 11:35PM.
“Oh Mikeee…Happy Birthday!”
She was being super sweet.
“Why don’t you come over here tomorrow night…when you get out of work?”
I’m such a sucker for sweet talk. I think I will go over to see her. I think I will. I can still be back to Alameda for my dinner outing with Chris. Why not?

Tomorrow is my birthday. I keep thinking I need to work out more. I will make the time. Tomorrow is my very own personal New Year’s Day. It’s time for a new beginning.

He liked to plan his seductions like a military operation.
She had remarked casually: “Every girl likes to get a present.”
-Edward Rutherford
LONDON, the novel











Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • "THAT GIRL"
    'It seemed a shame that we could be so close in our letters and never see each other alone.' A WAY OF LIFE, LIKE ANY OTHER by Darcy ...
  • The Beginnings - Part 81: FORTY WHACKS
    When people gamble, they think only of winning. They never think of losing. Remember this: Someone has to lose and it’s just as apt to be yo...
  • The Beginnings - Part 137: IS THERE ANYTHING GOING ON...
    He was an arch-rogue, far more than his own underlings realized, full of playfulness, wit, slyness, delighting in magician’s tricks, in guis...
  • A 'No Go'
    If there was a surprise in all this, it was only that he didn’t give a damn anymore. Olen Steinhauer, THE NEAREST EXIT Twenty-five years ago...
  • The Beginnings - Part 8: GEOGRAPHICALLY UNDESIRABLE
    To ‘learn’ something was the dream of our lives. -Janet Frame An Autobiography PHOTOS OF THE DAY: July 11, 1987, Honolulu, Hawaii Meeting Le...
  • The Untouchables
    I chose the specialty of surgery because of Matron, that steady presence during my boyhood and adolescence. “What is the hardest thing you c...
  • The Beginnings - Part 113: THE HAUNTING PASSION
    “You’re not as complicated as you think you are.” -as heard during the 2006 film THE CURIOSITY OF CHANCE The Beginnings – Part 113:   THE H...
  • Itching
    I think this is why God made kids, so you can look at their mouths eating applesauce you are feeding to them and forget everybody else’s BS....
  • In The Nick of Time
    Ideas are ‘new combinations’ of old elements. -Michael J Armijo PHILOSOPHICAL STATMENTS Twenty-five years ago today: June 2, 1987 Tuesday Th...
  • The Beginnings - Part 116: I NEED SOMEONE
    “You’ve chosen a rather public place for a private meeting,” I note. “I’ve always found it best to hide in plain sight.” -Paul Russell ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (30)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2013 (3)
    • ►  December (3)
  • ▼  2012 (267)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (31)
    • ►  September (30)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ▼  May (31)
      • Now or Never
      • Picnic on LAKE CHABOT
      • A New Buddy
      • He Got My Hint
      • Lucky Charms
      • My 28th Birthday
      • Being Super Sweet
      • While in the AIR FORCE
      • These Type of Events
      • Where Are You From?
      • Big Deal...
      • I Had An Affair
      • Go Confidently
      • Improving With Age
      • The Surprise Accompaniment
      • His Own Decisions
      • Ain't That a Shame: Am I Wasting My Time?
      • What About Our French Kisses?
      • Don't Dream It's Over
      • A Bumble Bee
      • I Want To Get Serious
      • A 'Dear Jane' Letter
      • Ashley Is Three
      • Given Up
      • Help Me Rhonda
      • Craving Chocolate
      • She Is Wild
      • Extraordinarily Affectionate
      • A Victim of Circumstance
      • SPECIAL F/X
      • American Graffiti
    • ►  April (30)
    • ►  March (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile