gentle man

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 29 May 2012

A New Buddy

Posted on 04:00 by Unknown
Seventy percent of the body’s sense receptors cluster in the eyes, and it is mainly through seeing the world that we appraise and understand it. Lovers close their eyes when they kiss because, if they didn’t, there would be too many visual distractions to notice and analyze—the sudden close-up of the loved one’s eyelashes and hair, the wallpaper, the clock face, the dust notes suspended in a shaft of sunlight. Lovers want to do serious touching, and not be disturbed.

-Diane Ackerman
A NATURAL HISTORY OF THE SENSES

Twenty-five years ago today:

May 29, 1987
Friday

It’s BOB HOPE’s Birthday today.  He’s a GEMINI, like me.
Work was all right. Carla returned to work. We had lunch together at the deli on Third Street. It was nice. She’s very irresponsible though. I just learned today that her license was taken away; yet she drove to work anyway! She’s too much.

After work I napped and then hit the gym.

Scott Lauer was at the gym again.
“When are you leaving?”
I knew he wanted a ride back to the Alameda Naval Air Station, so I said, “About ten minutes.”
During the drive he was having hungry pangs, so we stopped at KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN on Encinal Avenue. He treated me.
“So, where in OHIO are you from?” I asked after I bit an Original recipe thigh, “I once met a really nice girl from Akron in Hawaii.”
Scott answered, “Oh, it’s a really small town called Stone Creek. It’s near Canon or New Philadelphia.”
It was all foreign area to me and he could tell from my facial expression that I had no clue about Canon or New Philadelphia.  I wondered what it would be like to live in such a small town. He’s a nice chap though. He is only twenty years old.
Scott said, “I thought you were…like twenty-two!”
I laughed and said, “I thought you were about twenty-two!”
“You did?”
“Yeah, I might have even believed twenty-eight.”
He smiled. I think he wanted to look older.

Scott didn’t feel like going straight to the Naval Air Base, so I suggested a movie. We went to WHEREHOUSE RECORDS. I selected the movie. I wonder if I had hidden notions considering the title I selected: THE SURE THING.

We watched the movie at my place. THE SURE THING was a 1985 film starring John Cusack who played a college student planning a cross country trip to get laid. He ends up traveling with a young woman and they hate each other until they begin to 'grow and tolerate one another'.  It was one of those love-hate things that reminded me of Rachelle Davies.  The movie also made me think of Eileen and I.

I silently thought, “Yes, to Scott. He’s QBL,” and asked myself, “…but how can I be sure?”
I drove him to the Naval Air Station Base. It was my first time driving in there and I’ve lived in Alameda for most of my life. It was a fun evening. I fell like a made a new buddy. And now I was home alone.

There was a faint air of sadness about him now. He enjoyed the change. He imagined that he looked like a young man who had had an unhappy love affair or some kind of emotional disaster, and was trying to recuperate in a civilized way, by visiting some of the more beautiful places on the earth.
-Patricia Highsmith
THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY



Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • "THAT GIRL"
    'It seemed a shame that we could be so close in our letters and never see each other alone.' A WAY OF LIFE, LIKE ANY OTHER by Darcy ...
  • The Beginnings - Part 81: FORTY WHACKS
    When people gamble, they think only of winning. They never think of losing. Remember this: Someone has to lose and it’s just as apt to be yo...
  • The Beginnings - Part 137: IS THERE ANYTHING GOING ON...
    He was an arch-rogue, far more than his own underlings realized, full of playfulness, wit, slyness, delighting in magician’s tricks, in guis...
  • A 'No Go'
    If there was a surprise in all this, it was only that he didn’t give a damn anymore. Olen Steinhauer, THE NEAREST EXIT Twenty-five years ago...
  • The Beginnings - Part 8: GEOGRAPHICALLY UNDESIRABLE
    To ‘learn’ something was the dream of our lives. -Janet Frame An Autobiography PHOTOS OF THE DAY: July 11, 1987, Honolulu, Hawaii Meeting Le...
  • The Untouchables
    I chose the specialty of surgery because of Matron, that steady presence during my boyhood and adolescence. “What is the hardest thing you c...
  • The Beginnings - Part 113: THE HAUNTING PASSION
    “You’re not as complicated as you think you are.” -as heard during the 2006 film THE CURIOSITY OF CHANCE The Beginnings – Part 113:   THE H...
  • Itching
    I think this is why God made kids, so you can look at their mouths eating applesauce you are feeding to them and forget everybody else’s BS....
  • In The Nick of Time
    Ideas are ‘new combinations’ of old elements. -Michael J Armijo PHILOSOPHICAL STATMENTS Twenty-five years ago today: June 2, 1987 Tuesday Th...
  • The Beginnings - Part 116: I NEED SOMEONE
    “You’ve chosen a rather public place for a private meeting,” I note. “I’ve always found it best to hide in plain sight.” -Paul Russell ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (30)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2013 (3)
    • ►  December (3)
  • ▼  2012 (267)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (31)
    • ►  September (30)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ▼  May (31)
      • Now or Never
      • Picnic on LAKE CHABOT
      • A New Buddy
      • He Got My Hint
      • Lucky Charms
      • My 28th Birthday
      • Being Super Sweet
      • While in the AIR FORCE
      • These Type of Events
      • Where Are You From?
      • Big Deal...
      • I Had An Affair
      • Go Confidently
      • Improving With Age
      • The Surprise Accompaniment
      • His Own Decisions
      • Ain't That a Shame: Am I Wasting My Time?
      • What About Our French Kisses?
      • Don't Dream It's Over
      • A Bumble Bee
      • I Want To Get Serious
      • A 'Dear Jane' Letter
      • Ashley Is Three
      • Given Up
      • Help Me Rhonda
      • Craving Chocolate
      • She Is Wild
      • Extraordinarily Affectionate
      • A Victim of Circumstance
      • SPECIAL F/X
      • American Graffiti
    • ►  April (30)
    • ►  March (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile