gentle man

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, 3 May 2012

A Victim of Circumstance

Posted on 04:00 by Unknown
Our senses connect us intimately to the past, connect us in ways that most of our cherished ideas never could.
-Diane Ackerman
A NATURAL HISTORY OF THE SENSES

Twenty-five years ago today:

May 3, 1987
Sunday

Chris Cordellos telephoned this morning. It was an odd phone call.
Chris asked, “So…where were you last night?”
It was as if I owed him an explanation.
I answered him though.
“I was at my ma and pa’s.”
“Oh,” he said with a tinge of wonder in his voice.
And what if I was out on a date anyway?  Was there a rekindling between us that I wasn’t aware of?

Jeff telephoned from Hawaii with a few revelations of his own.
“You won’t believe what happened.”
“What?” I asked.
“Well, Carla caught her boyfriend on top of me.”
“You’re kidding me?”
“No.”
Was Jeff preparing me for a phone call from Carla about this confrontation? I didn’t know what to say. Whatever it was he felt a need to share the scoop. I simply reassured him.
“Look,” I said, “You were just a victim of circumstance.”

It was a Sunday and I decided to go to visit mom. It’s her day off and I needed some ‘mom time’. My niece, Lauren, was there and I gave her e a few chocolate covered graham crackers.

I fell asleep at mom’s house when Sherri and Ashley stopped by. I woke up and stuck around until around nine o’clock. I kept myself occupied during the last couple of hours by watching “THE POLICE STORY: Freeway Killings”.

I was soon in bed when I decided to give Ted Charach a call. He’s the Robert F Kennedy documentary writer/producer character. It was a mistake to call him. It’s clear he is just obsessed with young boys and a bit of a sex fiend. I didn’t like his conversational innuendo.

I telephoned Johnny Schaefer to discuss some of the weekend experiences.  He simply listened.

I went to bed.  Carla returns to work tomorrow.  I’m glad.  I need her lively personality.  I need to wake up.

To understand, we have to “use our heads,” meaning our minds. Most people think of the mind as being located in the head, but the latest findings in physiology suggest that the mind doesn’t really dwell in the brain but travels the whole body on caravans of hormone and enzyme, busily making sense of the compound wonders we catalogue as touch, taste, smell, hearing, vision.
-Diane Ackerman
A NATURAL HISTORY OF THE SENSES

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • "THAT GIRL"
    'It seemed a shame that we could be so close in our letters and never see each other alone.' A WAY OF LIFE, LIKE ANY OTHER by Darcy ...
  • The Beginnings - Part 81: FORTY WHACKS
    When people gamble, they think only of winning. They never think of losing. Remember this: Someone has to lose and it’s just as apt to be yo...
  • The Beginnings - Part 137: IS THERE ANYTHING GOING ON...
    He was an arch-rogue, far more than his own underlings realized, full of playfulness, wit, slyness, delighting in magician’s tricks, in guis...
  • A 'No Go'
    If there was a surprise in all this, it was only that he didn’t give a damn anymore. Olen Steinhauer, THE NEAREST EXIT Twenty-five years ago...
  • The Beginnings - Part 8: GEOGRAPHICALLY UNDESIRABLE
    To ‘learn’ something was the dream of our lives. -Janet Frame An Autobiography PHOTOS OF THE DAY: July 11, 1987, Honolulu, Hawaii Meeting Le...
  • The Untouchables
    I chose the specialty of surgery because of Matron, that steady presence during my boyhood and adolescence. “What is the hardest thing you c...
  • The Beginnings - Part 113: THE HAUNTING PASSION
    “You’re not as complicated as you think you are.” -as heard during the 2006 film THE CURIOSITY OF CHANCE The Beginnings – Part 113:   THE H...
  • Itching
    I think this is why God made kids, so you can look at their mouths eating applesauce you are feeding to them and forget everybody else’s BS....
  • In The Nick of Time
    Ideas are ‘new combinations’ of old elements. -Michael J Armijo PHILOSOPHICAL STATMENTS Twenty-five years ago today: June 2, 1987 Tuesday Th...
  • The Beginnings - Part 116: I NEED SOMEONE
    “You’ve chosen a rather public place for a private meeting,” I note. “I’ve always found it best to hide in plain sight.” -Paul Russell ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (30)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2013 (3)
    • ►  December (3)
  • ▼  2012 (267)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (31)
    • ►  September (30)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ▼  May (31)
      • Now or Never
      • Picnic on LAKE CHABOT
      • A New Buddy
      • He Got My Hint
      • Lucky Charms
      • My 28th Birthday
      • Being Super Sweet
      • While in the AIR FORCE
      • These Type of Events
      • Where Are You From?
      • Big Deal...
      • I Had An Affair
      • Go Confidently
      • Improving With Age
      • The Surprise Accompaniment
      • His Own Decisions
      • Ain't That a Shame: Am I Wasting My Time?
      • What About Our French Kisses?
      • Don't Dream It's Over
      • A Bumble Bee
      • I Want To Get Serious
      • A 'Dear Jane' Letter
      • Ashley Is Three
      • Given Up
      • Help Me Rhonda
      • Craving Chocolate
      • She Is Wild
      • Extraordinarily Affectionate
      • A Victim of Circumstance
      • SPECIAL F/X
      • American Graffiti
    • ►  April (30)
    • ►  March (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile