gentle man

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, 24 May 2012

While in the AIR FORCE

Posted on 04:00 by Unknown
He had to think, he had to order his thoughts.

-Shyam Selvadurai
CINNAMON GARDENS, a novel

Twenty-five years ago today:

May 24, 1987
Sunday

Today was more of a lounge about kind of day. I slept-in and then I heard about the mass of crowds at the Golden Gate 50th Anniversary Celebration. I was glad I wasn’t there amidst the many people.

Bill Matson called me to see about arranging a dinner outing with him and Irene.
“That’s sounds great,” I replied.
“Oh good because Irene plans to leave in about a week.”

Chris left early and I went over to mom’s for a bite to eat. Mom and I took a drive to see the house that Tony and Helen submitted an offer for in Castro Valley. They bid an offer of $225,000 on a house on a street called Arlington Isle.   I'm sure they'll get it.

I was wearing Tony’s shirt that belonged to him while in the AIR FORCE. He didn’t want it and gave it to mom to donate it.   I stumbled upon it and I liked it.  I thought it would be fun to wear with Memorial Day coming soon.
I think Tony said something like, “Nice shirt.”
Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like to be in the AIR FORCE.  I still admire how my brother, Tony, managed to serve four years.

Since we weren’t far from the Hayward Cemetery I accompanied mom to place flowers on her father’s grave (my grandfather: Fidel Alexander Lucero). When we returned to mom’s house we watched IN SELF DEFENSE.

I watched QUEENIE (the movie my mom videotaped).   I was up way past midnight, watching it.
Johnny called from L.A.  Jeff called from Honolulu.

There’s no word from Eileen except for the card she sent me. In the card she wrote: ‘I’m available next Tuesday, Wednesday Night and Thursday’.

The man who sees the funny side survives.
-Martin Booth
The Industry of Souls, a novel



Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • "THAT GIRL"
    'It seemed a shame that we could be so close in our letters and never see each other alone.' A WAY OF LIFE, LIKE ANY OTHER by Darcy ...
  • The Beginnings - Part 81: FORTY WHACKS
    When people gamble, they think only of winning. They never think of losing. Remember this: Someone has to lose and it’s just as apt to be yo...
  • The Beginnings - Part 137: IS THERE ANYTHING GOING ON...
    He was an arch-rogue, far more than his own underlings realized, full of playfulness, wit, slyness, delighting in magician’s tricks, in guis...
  • A 'No Go'
    If there was a surprise in all this, it was only that he didn’t give a damn anymore. Olen Steinhauer, THE NEAREST EXIT Twenty-five years ago...
  • The Beginnings - Part 8: GEOGRAPHICALLY UNDESIRABLE
    To ‘learn’ something was the dream of our lives. -Janet Frame An Autobiography PHOTOS OF THE DAY: July 11, 1987, Honolulu, Hawaii Meeting Le...
  • The Untouchables
    I chose the specialty of surgery because of Matron, that steady presence during my boyhood and adolescence. “What is the hardest thing you c...
  • The Beginnings - Part 113: THE HAUNTING PASSION
    “You’re not as complicated as you think you are.” -as heard during the 2006 film THE CURIOSITY OF CHANCE The Beginnings – Part 113:   THE H...
  • Itching
    I think this is why God made kids, so you can look at their mouths eating applesauce you are feeding to them and forget everybody else’s BS....
  • In The Nick of Time
    Ideas are ‘new combinations’ of old elements. -Michael J Armijo PHILOSOPHICAL STATMENTS Twenty-five years ago today: June 2, 1987 Tuesday Th...
  • The Beginnings - Part 116: I NEED SOMEONE
    “You’ve chosen a rather public place for a private meeting,” I note. “I’ve always found it best to hide in plain sight.” -Paul Russell ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (30)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2013 (3)
    • ►  December (3)
  • ▼  2012 (267)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (31)
    • ►  September (30)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ▼  May (31)
      • Now or Never
      • Picnic on LAKE CHABOT
      • A New Buddy
      • He Got My Hint
      • Lucky Charms
      • My 28th Birthday
      • Being Super Sweet
      • While in the AIR FORCE
      • These Type of Events
      • Where Are You From?
      • Big Deal...
      • I Had An Affair
      • Go Confidently
      • Improving With Age
      • The Surprise Accompaniment
      • His Own Decisions
      • Ain't That a Shame: Am I Wasting My Time?
      • What About Our French Kisses?
      • Don't Dream It's Over
      • A Bumble Bee
      • I Want To Get Serious
      • A 'Dear Jane' Letter
      • Ashley Is Three
      • Given Up
      • Help Me Rhonda
      • Craving Chocolate
      • She Is Wild
      • Extraordinarily Affectionate
      • A Victim of Circumstance
      • SPECIAL F/X
      • American Graffiti
    • ►  April (30)
    • ►  March (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile