gentle man

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, 10 May 2012

A 'Dear Jane' Letter

Posted on 04:00 by Unknown
BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY’s is set in New York in the 1940s.

I suspect that much of its charm comes from something left half-said: it’s the story of a romantic friendship between a straight woman and a gay man. Since their affection cannot end in sex or marriage, the two must explore other, less obvious ways to be intimate. They can have romance but must remain pure, the modern equivalent of courtly love.
-Christopher Bram
THE GAY WRITERS WHO CHANGED AMERICA
“EMINENT OUTLAWS”

Twenty-five years ago today:

May 10, 1987
Sunday

It was a lazy Sunday all the way around. Well, not really. I did go bike riding this morning but my baby toe on my left foot had a blister from yesterday’s jog. It was painful so I cut my bike ride short. I started watching parts of BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY’s which happened to be on TV.

I went to mom and dad’s house and dad had a tizzy because I parked across the street (in front of the Tawasha neighbor’s house). It’s a public street and there’s no reason why I couldn’t park there. Dad wanted me to move my car. I moved it all right. I put turned the key, started the car and drove back home. I just left.

PHOTO: During Ashley’s Birthday Party
Tony, Helen and Lauren
My sister-in-law, Helen, and my niece, Lauren stopped by at my house to see me. We ate Chinese food that Helen had brought. I decided to go back to mom and dad’s house after Helen’s power of persuasion.

A little later I tagged along with Helen, Sherri, mom, Ashley and Lauren to the ALAMEDA FLEA MARKET.

When I telephoned Eileen a bit later she had someone on the other line. She gave me lesser priority, asking me to call back later. I decided to write her a ‘DEAR JANE Letter’. It will all depend on her response to the letter.

I telephoned Rachelle and she turned the other foot.
“I’m sorry for being so rude the other night. I was going to call you back but my car conked out off of highway 580.”
I was surprised by her apology and said, “Oh don’t worry about it.”
“I still want to meet up. I’ll call you tomorrow because I’m curling my mom’s hair.”
I laughed, “Okay, sounds good.”

Mark called to ask, “Are we running the Bay to Breakers next Sunday?”
“I think that might work out.”
“I went to a Bruce Hornsby concert on Friday night.”
“Oh, so that’s what you’ve been up to.   He does that song called THE WAY IT IS, right?”
“Yeah, but I didn’t do anything spectacular on Saturday night.”
Mark got me all hyped-up about the Bay to Breakers run in the City. Mark’s a cool guy.
Mark announced, “Oh hey, I got my first issue of WIND SURFER Magazine that you subscribed for me! Thanks a lot.”
That was nice of him to thank me.  He didn’t have to--but it was nice that he did.

I started to watch the Sunday Night movie after mom and Ashley dropped me home. I found an old videotape that I thought I had erased that entertained me.

After my phone chat with Mark I went to bed. I felt a need to getaway. It works in one’s dreams easily. Yawn.

For Tourists, everything is possible; contradictions are minor inconveniences. Tourists, like children, believe the world is theirs.
-Olen Steinhauer
THE NEAREST EXIT, a novel

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • "THAT GIRL"
    'It seemed a shame that we could be so close in our letters and never see each other alone.' A WAY OF LIFE, LIKE ANY OTHER by Darcy ...
  • The Beginnings - Part 81: FORTY WHACKS
    When people gamble, they think only of winning. They never think of losing. Remember this: Someone has to lose and it’s just as apt to be yo...
  • The Beginnings - Part 137: IS THERE ANYTHING GOING ON...
    He was an arch-rogue, far more than his own underlings realized, full of playfulness, wit, slyness, delighting in magician’s tricks, in guis...
  • A 'No Go'
    If there was a surprise in all this, it was only that he didn’t give a damn anymore. Olen Steinhauer, THE NEAREST EXIT Twenty-five years ago...
  • The Beginnings - Part 8: GEOGRAPHICALLY UNDESIRABLE
    To ‘learn’ something was the dream of our lives. -Janet Frame An Autobiography PHOTOS OF THE DAY: July 11, 1987, Honolulu, Hawaii Meeting Le...
  • The Untouchables
    I chose the specialty of surgery because of Matron, that steady presence during my boyhood and adolescence. “What is the hardest thing you c...
  • The Beginnings - Part 113: THE HAUNTING PASSION
    “You’re not as complicated as you think you are.” -as heard during the 2006 film THE CURIOSITY OF CHANCE The Beginnings – Part 113:   THE H...
  • Itching
    I think this is why God made kids, so you can look at their mouths eating applesauce you are feeding to them and forget everybody else’s BS....
  • In The Nick of Time
    Ideas are ‘new combinations’ of old elements. -Michael J Armijo PHILOSOPHICAL STATMENTS Twenty-five years ago today: June 2, 1987 Tuesday Th...
  • The Beginnings - Part 116: I NEED SOMEONE
    “You’ve chosen a rather public place for a private meeting,” I note. “I’ve always found it best to hide in plain sight.” -Paul Russell ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (30)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2013 (3)
    • ►  December (3)
  • ▼  2012 (267)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (31)
    • ►  September (30)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ▼  May (31)
      • Now or Never
      • Picnic on LAKE CHABOT
      • A New Buddy
      • He Got My Hint
      • Lucky Charms
      • My 28th Birthday
      • Being Super Sweet
      • While in the AIR FORCE
      • These Type of Events
      • Where Are You From?
      • Big Deal...
      • I Had An Affair
      • Go Confidently
      • Improving With Age
      • The Surprise Accompaniment
      • His Own Decisions
      • Ain't That a Shame: Am I Wasting My Time?
      • What About Our French Kisses?
      • Don't Dream It's Over
      • A Bumble Bee
      • I Want To Get Serious
      • A 'Dear Jane' Letter
      • Ashley Is Three
      • Given Up
      • Help Me Rhonda
      • Craving Chocolate
      • She Is Wild
      • Extraordinarily Affectionate
      • A Victim of Circumstance
      • SPECIAL F/X
      • American Graffiti
    • ►  April (30)
    • ►  March (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile