gentle man

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Sunday, 13 May 2012

Don't Dream It's Over

Posted on 04:00 by Unknown
“No one thinks about the bigger picture anymore, just his own gain.”

-Olen Steinhauer
THE NEAREST EXIT, a novel

Twenty-five years ago today:

May 13, 1987
Wednesday

It is so damn busy at work right now. Ugh!

I thought Danny Garcia and I were going to see a flick but plans didn’t work out. He did call me after I left two messages on his recorder. We may just meet up tomorrow for dinner.
Danny said, “Yeah, there’s a grand opening at this new Mexican restaurant in Alamo.”

Steve Flander returned my call. We may meet up at SPENGER’s in Berkeley next Wednesday. I hope he’s not getting delinquent with his Yellow Page advertising again. I need to review his payment arrangement to be sure he’s on-target.

I did call Jeff Sombat and gave him the details of my arrival to Honolulu on July 4th. He seemed to show some excitement about my returning to the island.

I tried giving Eileen a call but there was no answer at 9PM. It’s strange. The folks she knows are visiting from New York and I can’t believe she took them out at such a late hour. Or could it be that her phone was unplugged? Why can’t she just ‘play ball’ with me?

Paul Margolis listened to two of my incoming phone calls with customers today. How degrading. He’s such a jerk!

Laverne Butler called me from Pacific Bell. She’s going to apply for a Customer Service Representative job in Pac Bell Directory’s CSO-Customer Service Office. I encouraged her.

I said to Laverne excitedly, “That sounds like a good idea if you want to get into Yellow Page sales eventually!”

Of course, Rachelle has not called me. I’m giving up on her.

I like getting out of work at 4PM. I just need to halt the naptime scene once I get home. I did some aerobics last night for about an hour. That was all I did though.

I wrote to Jeff in Hawaii and sent him a check for twenty-three dollars for his 23rd Birthday. I really like the song by Crowded House called DON’T DREAM IT’S OVER. It was relaxing to write to Jeff as that song played.

Say what one will, words rarely capture the immediate emotional assault of a piece of poignant music, which allows the composer to say not “It felt something like this,” but rather “Here is the unnamable emotion I felt, and even my obsession with structure, proportion, and time, inside of you.”
-Diane Ackerman
A NATURAL HISTORY OF THE SENSES











Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • "THAT GIRL"
    'It seemed a shame that we could be so close in our letters and never see each other alone.' A WAY OF LIFE, LIKE ANY OTHER by Darcy ...
  • The Beginnings - Part 81: FORTY WHACKS
    When people gamble, they think only of winning. They never think of losing. Remember this: Someone has to lose and it’s just as apt to be yo...
  • The Beginnings - Part 137: IS THERE ANYTHING GOING ON...
    He was an arch-rogue, far more than his own underlings realized, full of playfulness, wit, slyness, delighting in magician’s tricks, in guis...
  • A 'No Go'
    If there was a surprise in all this, it was only that he didn’t give a damn anymore. Olen Steinhauer, THE NEAREST EXIT Twenty-five years ago...
  • The Beginnings - Part 8: GEOGRAPHICALLY UNDESIRABLE
    To ‘learn’ something was the dream of our lives. -Janet Frame An Autobiography PHOTOS OF THE DAY: July 11, 1987, Honolulu, Hawaii Meeting Le...
  • The Untouchables
    I chose the specialty of surgery because of Matron, that steady presence during my boyhood and adolescence. “What is the hardest thing you c...
  • The Beginnings - Part 113: THE HAUNTING PASSION
    “You’re not as complicated as you think you are.” -as heard during the 2006 film THE CURIOSITY OF CHANCE The Beginnings – Part 113:   THE H...
  • Itching
    I think this is why God made kids, so you can look at their mouths eating applesauce you are feeding to them and forget everybody else’s BS....
  • In The Nick of Time
    Ideas are ‘new combinations’ of old elements. -Michael J Armijo PHILOSOPHICAL STATMENTS Twenty-five years ago today: June 2, 1987 Tuesday Th...
  • The Beginnings - Part 116: I NEED SOMEONE
    “You’ve chosen a rather public place for a private meeting,” I note. “I’ve always found it best to hide in plain sight.” -Paul Russell ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (30)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2013 (3)
    • ►  December (3)
  • ▼  2012 (267)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (31)
    • ►  September (30)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ▼  May (31)
      • Now or Never
      • Picnic on LAKE CHABOT
      • A New Buddy
      • He Got My Hint
      • Lucky Charms
      • My 28th Birthday
      • Being Super Sweet
      • While in the AIR FORCE
      • These Type of Events
      • Where Are You From?
      • Big Deal...
      • I Had An Affair
      • Go Confidently
      • Improving With Age
      • The Surprise Accompaniment
      • His Own Decisions
      • Ain't That a Shame: Am I Wasting My Time?
      • What About Our French Kisses?
      • Don't Dream It's Over
      • A Bumble Bee
      • I Want To Get Serious
      • A 'Dear Jane' Letter
      • Ashley Is Three
      • Given Up
      • Help Me Rhonda
      • Craving Chocolate
      • She Is Wild
      • Extraordinarily Affectionate
      • A Victim of Circumstance
      • SPECIAL F/X
      • American Graffiti
    • ►  April (30)
    • ►  March (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile