gentle man

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Sunday, 6 May 2012

Craving Chocolate

Posted on 04:00 by Unknown
“My only talent was NOT to close my eyes.”
-as heard by Colin Clark in the 2011 film
MY WEEK WITH MARILYN

Twenty-five years ago today:

May 6, 1987
Wednesday

It was an amazingly beautiful day today. It feels like an early summer. I tried parking near this park ‘for free’. It was suggested by my coworker, Rhoda. I hope her advice works out.

Carla and I ate outside. We did a quick take-out from our company cafeteria. The management was at an all day meeting. I love it when they’re gone. It’s not that I do less work but there seems to be less pressure.

I left the office at 4PM and went home to lift my thirty pound barbells. I bicycled until 6PM when I returned home to a call from my sister-in-law, Sherri.
“Mike, I have to go out to order Ashley’s birthday cake. Do you think you can come over to watch Ashley for a while?”
“Sure, I’ll be right there.”

It was fun watching Ashley. Sherri returned soon enough and I ended up eating dinner with them. I never made it to the gym. Oh well…all in due time. I’m not that far gone yet. I am well aware of what I must do to get more fit; however, I was craving chocolate.

In 1982, two psycho-pharmacologists, Dr. Michael Liebowitz and Dr. Donald Klein, proposed an explanation for why lovesick people pig out on chocolate.
They speculated that the phenomenon might well be related to the brain chemical phenyl ethylamine (PEA), which makes us feel the roller coaster of passion we associate with falling in love, an amphetamine-like rush. But when the rush ends, and the brains stops producing PEA, we continue to crave its natural high, its emotional speed. Where can one find lots of this luscious, love-arousing PEA?  In chocolate.   So it’s possible that some people eat chocolate because it reproduces the sense of well-being we enjoy when we’re in love.
-Diane Ackerman
A NATURAL HISTORY OF THE SENSES



Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • "THAT GIRL"
    'It seemed a shame that we could be so close in our letters and never see each other alone.' A WAY OF LIFE, LIKE ANY OTHER by Darcy ...
  • The Beginnings - Part 81: FORTY WHACKS
    When people gamble, they think only of winning. They never think of losing. Remember this: Someone has to lose and it’s just as apt to be yo...
  • The Beginnings - Part 137: IS THERE ANYTHING GOING ON...
    He was an arch-rogue, far more than his own underlings realized, full of playfulness, wit, slyness, delighting in magician’s tricks, in guis...
  • A 'No Go'
    If there was a surprise in all this, it was only that he didn’t give a damn anymore. Olen Steinhauer, THE NEAREST EXIT Twenty-five years ago...
  • The Beginnings - Part 8: GEOGRAPHICALLY UNDESIRABLE
    To ‘learn’ something was the dream of our lives. -Janet Frame An Autobiography PHOTOS OF THE DAY: July 11, 1987, Honolulu, Hawaii Meeting Le...
  • The Untouchables
    I chose the specialty of surgery because of Matron, that steady presence during my boyhood and adolescence. “What is the hardest thing you c...
  • The Beginnings - Part 113: THE HAUNTING PASSION
    “You’re not as complicated as you think you are.” -as heard during the 2006 film THE CURIOSITY OF CHANCE The Beginnings – Part 113:   THE H...
  • Itching
    I think this is why God made kids, so you can look at their mouths eating applesauce you are feeding to them and forget everybody else’s BS....
  • In The Nick of Time
    Ideas are ‘new combinations’ of old elements. -Michael J Armijo PHILOSOPHICAL STATMENTS Twenty-five years ago today: June 2, 1987 Tuesday Th...
  • The Beginnings - Part 116: I NEED SOMEONE
    “You’ve chosen a rather public place for a private meeting,” I note. “I’ve always found it best to hide in plain sight.” -Paul Russell ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (30)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2013 (3)
    • ►  December (3)
  • ▼  2012 (267)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (31)
    • ►  September (30)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ▼  May (31)
      • Now or Never
      • Picnic on LAKE CHABOT
      • A New Buddy
      • He Got My Hint
      • Lucky Charms
      • My 28th Birthday
      • Being Super Sweet
      • While in the AIR FORCE
      • These Type of Events
      • Where Are You From?
      • Big Deal...
      • I Had An Affair
      • Go Confidently
      • Improving With Age
      • The Surprise Accompaniment
      • His Own Decisions
      • Ain't That a Shame: Am I Wasting My Time?
      • What About Our French Kisses?
      • Don't Dream It's Over
      • A Bumble Bee
      • I Want To Get Serious
      • A 'Dear Jane' Letter
      • Ashley Is Three
      • Given Up
      • Help Me Rhonda
      • Craving Chocolate
      • She Is Wild
      • Extraordinarily Affectionate
      • A Victim of Circumstance
      • SPECIAL F/X
      • American Graffiti
    • ►  April (30)
    • ►  March (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile