gentle man

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Friday, 18 May 2012

Improving With Age

Posted on 04:00 by Unknown
“Find something to believe in.”
-as heard while watching the 2008 film “GOOD”

Twenty-five years ago today:

May 18, 1987
Monday

My Hawaiian pals, Jeff and Carla, called me in the early hours of 6AM. They were ‘buzzing’ from the booze.
Carla announced, “We have four bottles of KORBEL Champagne left and we plan on saving two for when you arrive!”
“Hmm…we’ll see if they can last for that long,” I said, laughing.

I dreaded the idea of going to work today because of all the work I had at my desk. Oh well, Freddie is returning. That will help.

I cancelled out on both Ron Bygum’s facial for this Wednesday AND Steve Flander for dinner and a drink with a phony excuse.
I explained, “I can’t make it because I have to babysit my niece, Ashley.”
I knew both events would cost me some money, so I figured I’d pass on both of them. I don’t need to spend money for a facial or for cocktails and a dinner. I definitely don’t need it.

Bad ass Nikki Bovee came into the office with a look of wonder and bewilderment about the one hundred and three pending delinquent San Francisco Accounts. There are only about forty-three that are my responsibility. The rest belong to Lily. I reduced my batch to thirty by the end of the day. It irks me a bit because I am doing the job so very well while others tend to move so slowly. The time in my current office is passing quickly though. I had best be in Yellow Page Sales soon! I figure I have only a month or so to bear with all of these delinquent accounts.

I ate lunch in the cafeteria with Freddie. I loaned her five dollars. I had loaned another five dollars to Carla during my first break. I’d better see my ten dollars returned tomorrow…or else!

I did it again. I took a nap after work. My mind was mentally exhausted from work.

Eileen called. She was my wake up call. We talked a bit.
“I’m going to Lake Berryessa this weekend with Katrina.”
I replied nonchalantly in my own condescending way, “Well, I’m sure you’ll both have a BLAST.”
I realized that I haven’t even spilled the beans about my forthcoming trip to Hawaii on the 4th of July. So there!
I said, “Well, I guess I won’t be seeing you for a long time.”
Eileen asked sweetly, “Why don’t you come over here to visit this Thursday night?”
“Well, maybe I can work that out,” I replied.
I really don’t see why she can’t come to see me for a change!

After my nap and the Eileen phone call I hit the gym. Dave Trapp was there.
Dave said, “You know, Mike…there’s this new health line product that I may be selling.”
“It’s not some sort of steroids trip, is it?”
“Oh no, it’s one hundred percent natural and it’s an alternative to steroids.”
“Well, I might be interested.”

I mentioned my accomplishment with the Bay to Breakers run to Dave, Kathy and Mark Gebhardt.
I said to Mark, “My calves are still sore but it’s a good pain.”
The 'new' Mark just laughed.

I realized that I wouldn’t be as sore if I hadn’t gone for that jog in Alameda the Saturday before the run. I still feel good that I finished the seven and one-half miles (12K) in one hour and fifteen seconds. Last year it took me one hour and twenty minutes. I am improving with age.

Speaking of age, Mark Gebhardt is twenty-seven years old. He was born in 1960 and he graduated from San Leandro High in 1978. We talked about meeting up for lunch since we both happen to work in San Francisco. He gave me his card. He seems like a cool guy.

While in the locker room at the gym I saw a fat, bald fellow. Someone called him ‘Dennis’. I realized he was Dennis Darby. He’s a guy that went to my high-school and graduated with me. I couldn’t believe that he’d lost his hair! I feel great for twenty-seven (going on twenty-eight) when some guys my age look like they’re in their early forties already. Gee whiz!

“LIFE never forgives weakness.”
-as heard while watching the 2004 film DOWNFALL

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • "THAT GIRL"
    'It seemed a shame that we could be so close in our letters and never see each other alone.' A WAY OF LIFE, LIKE ANY OTHER by Darcy ...
  • The Beginnings - Part 81: FORTY WHACKS
    When people gamble, they think only of winning. They never think of losing. Remember this: Someone has to lose and it’s just as apt to be yo...
  • The Beginnings - Part 137: IS THERE ANYTHING GOING ON...
    He was an arch-rogue, far more than his own underlings realized, full of playfulness, wit, slyness, delighting in magician’s tricks, in guis...
  • A 'No Go'
    If there was a surprise in all this, it was only that he didn’t give a damn anymore. Olen Steinhauer, THE NEAREST EXIT Twenty-five years ago...
  • The Beginnings - Part 8: GEOGRAPHICALLY UNDESIRABLE
    To ‘learn’ something was the dream of our lives. -Janet Frame An Autobiography PHOTOS OF THE DAY: July 11, 1987, Honolulu, Hawaii Meeting Le...
  • The Untouchables
    I chose the specialty of surgery because of Matron, that steady presence during my boyhood and adolescence. “What is the hardest thing you c...
  • The Beginnings - Part 113: THE HAUNTING PASSION
    “You’re not as complicated as you think you are.” -as heard during the 2006 film THE CURIOSITY OF CHANCE The Beginnings – Part 113:   THE H...
  • Itching
    I think this is why God made kids, so you can look at their mouths eating applesauce you are feeding to them and forget everybody else’s BS....
  • In The Nick of Time
    Ideas are ‘new combinations’ of old elements. -Michael J Armijo PHILOSOPHICAL STATMENTS Twenty-five years ago today: June 2, 1987 Tuesday Th...
  • The Beginnings - Part 116: I NEED SOMEONE
    “You’ve chosen a rather public place for a private meeting,” I note. “I’ve always found it best to hide in plain sight.” -Paul Russell ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (30)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2013 (3)
    • ►  December (3)
  • ▼  2012 (267)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (31)
    • ►  September (30)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ▼  May (31)
      • Now or Never
      • Picnic on LAKE CHABOT
      • A New Buddy
      • He Got My Hint
      • Lucky Charms
      • My 28th Birthday
      • Being Super Sweet
      • While in the AIR FORCE
      • These Type of Events
      • Where Are You From?
      • Big Deal...
      • I Had An Affair
      • Go Confidently
      • Improving With Age
      • The Surprise Accompaniment
      • His Own Decisions
      • Ain't That a Shame: Am I Wasting My Time?
      • What About Our French Kisses?
      • Don't Dream It's Over
      • A Bumble Bee
      • I Want To Get Serious
      • A 'Dear Jane' Letter
      • Ashley Is Three
      • Given Up
      • Help Me Rhonda
      • Craving Chocolate
      • She Is Wild
      • Extraordinarily Affectionate
      • A Victim of Circumstance
      • SPECIAL F/X
      • American Graffiti
    • ►  April (30)
    • ►  March (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile