gentle man

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 22 May 2012

Where Are You From?

Posted on 04:00 by Unknown
He would have guessed her age at somewhere just on the better side of thirty. A woman whose considerable looks were at their peak and whose understanding of the world had sharpened past youth.

-John Katzenbach
THE ANALYST

Twenty-five years ago today:

May 22, 1987
Friday

After work I decided to walk over near Union Square to the WILKES SPORT shop. I rekindled a meeting with Timothy Lewis. He works for WILKES-BASHFORD and he actually remembered me from when I dropped in to the store last November. I bought some black vertical-striped shorts and a green sweatshirt/jacket and a turquoise blue WB polo shirt. Timothy threw in a yellow and white tank-top for me. That was mighty sporty of him. We briefly discussed the idea of biking together some time.
“Where are you from?”  I asked because he was so friendly.
Timothy said, “I’m from the Monterey peninsula originally.”
He’s a nice chap but I’ll probably never hear from him again.

I went to FUJIYA’s and had a Michelob beer as I waited for the arrival of my former coworkers from Pacific Bell. Laverne and Stephanie arrived first and then the rest of my old Section ‘G’ showed up. I met Edward and was surprised to reunite with Cathie Tingle after three years of not seeing her. We used to work together at the Oakland RASC (Revenue Account Service Center) and she recently transferred to the SDC. Dale Orlando didn’t make the birthday event for Pearl. Cedric Green showed up though. I’m glad I found a fun Birthday Card for Pearl. She was happy.

After the dinner many of us went to CHANNELS (formerly BARNABY’s) for drinks. I saw Christy McQueen. She’s a friend of Cedric’s but I actually remembered her from my old Directory Assistance Operator days way back in 1978! She’s a real party-type.
Some Mexican gal asked me, “Could I see your ID?”

She didn’t work at the restaurant and claimed to be an undercover cop. That was wild. Do I really look under twenty-one? A little later I realized it was all a ploy for her to get to know me. She wanted to dance with me. She was kind of ‘ugh’ though. She could have been close to thirty years old. After a dance with her I joined my group and we cracked a few jokes. Laverne drove me to my car. I was home by ten-thirty. It can be exhausting to go out after work on a Friday. Yawn.

“I’ve always wanted to live by the seaside.”
-Lucy Muir
THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR, 1947 motion picture





Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • "THAT GIRL"
    'It seemed a shame that we could be so close in our letters and never see each other alone.' A WAY OF LIFE, LIKE ANY OTHER by Darcy ...
  • The Beginnings - Part 81: FORTY WHACKS
    When people gamble, they think only of winning. They never think of losing. Remember this: Someone has to lose and it’s just as apt to be yo...
  • The Beginnings - Part 137: IS THERE ANYTHING GOING ON...
    He was an arch-rogue, far more than his own underlings realized, full of playfulness, wit, slyness, delighting in magician’s tricks, in guis...
  • A 'No Go'
    If there was a surprise in all this, it was only that he didn’t give a damn anymore. Olen Steinhauer, THE NEAREST EXIT Twenty-five years ago...
  • The Beginnings - Part 8: GEOGRAPHICALLY UNDESIRABLE
    To ‘learn’ something was the dream of our lives. -Janet Frame An Autobiography PHOTOS OF THE DAY: July 11, 1987, Honolulu, Hawaii Meeting Le...
  • The Untouchables
    I chose the specialty of surgery because of Matron, that steady presence during my boyhood and adolescence. “What is the hardest thing you c...
  • The Beginnings - Part 113: THE HAUNTING PASSION
    “You’re not as complicated as you think you are.” -as heard during the 2006 film THE CURIOSITY OF CHANCE The Beginnings – Part 113:   THE H...
  • Itching
    I think this is why God made kids, so you can look at their mouths eating applesauce you are feeding to them and forget everybody else’s BS....
  • In The Nick of Time
    Ideas are ‘new combinations’ of old elements. -Michael J Armijo PHILOSOPHICAL STATMENTS Twenty-five years ago today: June 2, 1987 Tuesday Th...
  • The Beginnings - Part 116: I NEED SOMEONE
    “You’ve chosen a rather public place for a private meeting,” I note. “I’ve always found it best to hide in plain sight.” -Paul Russell ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (30)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2013 (3)
    • ►  December (3)
  • ▼  2012 (267)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (31)
    • ►  September (30)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ►  June (30)
    • ▼  May (31)
      • Now or Never
      • Picnic on LAKE CHABOT
      • A New Buddy
      • He Got My Hint
      • Lucky Charms
      • My 28th Birthday
      • Being Super Sweet
      • While in the AIR FORCE
      • These Type of Events
      • Where Are You From?
      • Big Deal...
      • I Had An Affair
      • Go Confidently
      • Improving With Age
      • The Surprise Accompaniment
      • His Own Decisions
      • Ain't That a Shame: Am I Wasting My Time?
      • What About Our French Kisses?
      • Don't Dream It's Over
      • A Bumble Bee
      • I Want To Get Serious
      • A 'Dear Jane' Letter
      • Ashley Is Three
      • Given Up
      • Help Me Rhonda
      • Craving Chocolate
      • She Is Wild
      • Extraordinarily Affectionate
      • A Victim of Circumstance
      • SPECIAL F/X
      • American Graffiti
    • ►  April (30)
    • ►  March (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile