gentle man

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 26 June 2012

Roasted Marshmallows

Posted on 04:00 by Unknown
THE NEW YORK TIMES—“If you read this newspaper every day for a year, you’ll have the vocabulary of a Ph.D. and you will know more than any college graduate. I guarantee you.”

-Abraham Verghese
CUTTING FOR STONE

Twenty-five years ago today:

June 26, 1987
Friday

Eileen met me for lunch in The City. I work a suit to accent my professional flare. She was in an addidas tank-top and shorts. We really matched together so nicely. Outrageous! We ate at a place called LITTLE JOE’s. She liked the outfit I got for her at Foxmoor. I treated her to lunch (what a rip).

After work I got home and showered. The Alameda Times Star boys came by to rip me off. I subscribed. It’s probably not as good as The New York Times.

Johnny arrived and we gathered our things and headed for K-Mart in San Leandro. I realized I’d only been to this K-Mart only once before. Johnny stopped at his VERSA-Teller machine and then we took off for Big Basin.

We drove through Big Basin, Saratoga via Highway 880, the Dumbarton Bridge, Highway 101, Highway 85, Highway 9 and Highway 236. Of course we took a few wrong turns here and there. The roads were so winding and curved.

We set up a tent. Actually, Johnny did most of the work. I handed him the pegs. I had never set up a tent before. We roasted marshmallows (my favorite part). We ate cheese and crackers. Then we hit-the-hay for the sleep we needed. The surface of the ground was so hard. I tossed and turned. I don’t think I like camping.

"I was always fascinated by people who are considered completely normal, because I find them the weirdest of all."
JOHNNY DEPP,
Vanity Fair Jan 2011 INTERVIEW

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • "THAT GIRL"
    'It seemed a shame that we could be so close in our letters and never see each other alone.' A WAY OF LIFE, LIKE ANY OTHER by Darcy ...
  • The Beginnings - Part 81: FORTY WHACKS
    When people gamble, they think only of winning. They never think of losing. Remember this: Someone has to lose and it’s just as apt to be yo...
  • The Beginnings - Part 137: IS THERE ANYTHING GOING ON...
    He was an arch-rogue, far more than his own underlings realized, full of playfulness, wit, slyness, delighting in magician’s tricks, in guis...
  • A 'No Go'
    If there was a surprise in all this, it was only that he didn’t give a damn anymore. Olen Steinhauer, THE NEAREST EXIT Twenty-five years ago...
  • The Beginnings - Part 8: GEOGRAPHICALLY UNDESIRABLE
    To ‘learn’ something was the dream of our lives. -Janet Frame An Autobiography PHOTOS OF THE DAY: July 11, 1987, Honolulu, Hawaii Meeting Le...
  • The Untouchables
    I chose the specialty of surgery because of Matron, that steady presence during my boyhood and adolescence. “What is the hardest thing you c...
  • The Beginnings - Part 113: THE HAUNTING PASSION
    “You’re not as complicated as you think you are.” -as heard during the 2006 film THE CURIOSITY OF CHANCE The Beginnings – Part 113:   THE H...
  • Itching
    I think this is why God made kids, so you can look at their mouths eating applesauce you are feeding to them and forget everybody else’s BS....
  • In The Nick of Time
    Ideas are ‘new combinations’ of old elements. -Michael J Armijo PHILOSOPHICAL STATMENTS Twenty-five years ago today: June 2, 1987 Tuesday Th...
  • The Beginnings - Part 116: I NEED SOMEONE
    “You’ve chosen a rather public place for a private meeting,” I note. “I’ve always found it best to hide in plain sight.” -Paul Russell ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (30)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2013 (3)
    • ►  December (3)
  • ▼  2012 (267)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (31)
    • ►  September (30)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ▼  June (30)
      • Upside Down
      • One In Every Port
      • Hamburgers and Witches
      • A Daydream
      • Roasted Marshmallows
      • My Very Best-Friend
      • It's All New To Me
      • His So-Called Relationship
      • A Movie Star
      • Suede and Leather
      • It's No Big Deal
      • A 'No Go'
      • A 'No Show'
      • It's Beyond Me
      • A Good Influence
      • Home-Cooked Goodies
      • Mexicali Rose Anniversary Margarita's
      • Ten Year Reunion
      • La Bomba
      • To Let Off Some Steam
      • Hot Summer Nights
      • Waiting Around In The Wings
      • The Hell With It
      • Being A Nuisance
      • When You Find The Time
      • The Untouchables
      • BIG HUNK
      • Awesome: Children of a Lesser God
      • In The Nick of Time
      • Getting HOT Again
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (30)
    • ►  March (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile