gentle man

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Monday, 11 June 2012

To Let Off Some Steam

Posted on 04:00 by Unknown
Against the suffering which may come upon one from human relationships the readiest safeguard is voluntary isolation, the happiness of quietness.
-Sigmund Freud
CIVILIZATION AND ITS DISCONTENTS

Twenty-five years ago today:

June 11, 1987
Thursday

It was another “okay” day. There was a fire drill at our building this morning. Everyone had to evacuate. I saw Neil Austin, a former coworker from Pac Bell.
Neil said, “Hey Mike! I talked to Margaret Lai the other day and she said you don’t return her calls.”
“She did?” I asked.
“Yeah, she kept going on and on.”
“I didn’t even know she’d been calling. I know she can be very persistent with a lot of pressure, too.”
Neil laughed, “Yeah, that’s her!”

I did make it to the gym and Scott wasn’t there…yet again. Oh well, I lost my work out buddy—or so it seems. I worked out anyway.

Chris called me and we had a good talk.

Jeff called me and said, “I’m definitely going to stop in San Francisco next Sunday for an hour on my return flight from New York!”
I thought it was pretty ridiculous for me to drive all the way to South San Francisco to see him at the airport for an hour…but we’ll see.
I kept missing Stacey, my new roommate. She leaves me a note and I do the same. It’s like having an invisible roommate. I imagine a lot of relationships are like that.

I telephoned mom.
Mom asked, “Do you think you could return a blender for me to PAYLESS?”
“Yes, but it would be better if I could do it on Friday.”
She got on my case a little bit by saying something about how when she needs a favor I can’t do it. However, I didn’t say “no”. She cooled off. I guess she just had to let off some steam (as we all do at times).

I was home from the gym by 9PM and chose to turn in to bed early. I haven’t called Eileen back. She hasn’t called me either. Such is life. Yawn.

“One writes simply as one feels, such a work is like sunlight radiating from a source of infinite brightness, not like a spark from a fluid struck on iron or stone. This alone is true art. And such a writer alone is a true artist.”
–Lu Xun,
A Happy Family

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • "THAT GIRL"
    'It seemed a shame that we could be so close in our letters and never see each other alone.' A WAY OF LIFE, LIKE ANY OTHER by Darcy ...
  • The Beginnings - Part 81: FORTY WHACKS
    When people gamble, they think only of winning. They never think of losing. Remember this: Someone has to lose and it’s just as apt to be yo...
  • The Beginnings - Part 137: IS THERE ANYTHING GOING ON...
    He was an arch-rogue, far more than his own underlings realized, full of playfulness, wit, slyness, delighting in magician’s tricks, in guis...
  • A 'No Go'
    If there was a surprise in all this, it was only that he didn’t give a damn anymore. Olen Steinhauer, THE NEAREST EXIT Twenty-five years ago...
  • The Beginnings - Part 8: GEOGRAPHICALLY UNDESIRABLE
    To ‘learn’ something was the dream of our lives. -Janet Frame An Autobiography PHOTOS OF THE DAY: July 11, 1987, Honolulu, Hawaii Meeting Le...
  • The Untouchables
    I chose the specialty of surgery because of Matron, that steady presence during my boyhood and adolescence. “What is the hardest thing you c...
  • The Beginnings - Part 113: THE HAUNTING PASSION
    “You’re not as complicated as you think you are.” -as heard during the 2006 film THE CURIOSITY OF CHANCE The Beginnings – Part 113:   THE H...
  • Itching
    I think this is why God made kids, so you can look at their mouths eating applesauce you are feeding to them and forget everybody else’s BS....
  • In The Nick of Time
    Ideas are ‘new combinations’ of old elements. -Michael J Armijo PHILOSOPHICAL STATMENTS Twenty-five years ago today: June 2, 1987 Tuesday Th...
  • The Beginnings - Part 116: I NEED SOMEONE
    “You’ve chosen a rather public place for a private meeting,” I note. “I’ve always found it best to hide in plain sight.” -Paul Russell ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (30)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2013 (3)
    • ►  December (3)
  • ▼  2012 (267)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (31)
    • ►  September (30)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ▼  June (30)
      • Upside Down
      • One In Every Port
      • Hamburgers and Witches
      • A Daydream
      • Roasted Marshmallows
      • My Very Best-Friend
      • It's All New To Me
      • His So-Called Relationship
      • A Movie Star
      • Suede and Leather
      • It's No Big Deal
      • A 'No Go'
      • A 'No Show'
      • It's Beyond Me
      • A Good Influence
      • Home-Cooked Goodies
      • Mexicali Rose Anniversary Margarita's
      • Ten Year Reunion
      • La Bomba
      • To Let Off Some Steam
      • Hot Summer Nights
      • Waiting Around In The Wings
      • The Hell With It
      • Being A Nuisance
      • When You Find The Time
      • The Untouchables
      • BIG HUNK
      • Awesome: Children of a Lesser God
      • In The Nick of Time
      • Getting HOT Again
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (30)
    • ►  March (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile