gentle man

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Monday, 18 June 2012

A 'No Show'

Posted on 04:00 by Unknown
Wasn’t that the definition of home?  NOT where you are from, but where you are wanted?
-Abraham Verghese
CUTTING FOR STONE

Twenty-five years ago today:

June 18, 1987
Thursday

I caught the express bus to The City easily today.

I telephoned high-school classmate, Julie Roth. She works at a Travel Agency.
“How about lunch,” I asked
Julie said, “I have Sundays and Mondays off.”
“Would you like to have lunch with me next Thursday?”
“Okay, you know…I was thinking about you. I just got my pictures back from the reunion and I wasn’t sure if you gave me your business card or not.”
“I didn’t…but I’m calling now.”
I laughed. She didn’t. We’re set for a lunch in The City next week though.

I walked over to see my ex-boss, Stephanie. We’re going to do lunch next Wednesday.

Freddie and I ate at PIZZA BOAT today.

When I arrived home to Alameda I peeked in and saw that Stacey was sleeping in her bed. The phone rang. It was Stacey’s mother, so I woke her up.
I telephoned my mom today.
“You know…I’m off tomorrow and for the next two weeks.”
“That’s great! You deserve the time off!”

Stacey left to have dinner at her mom’s house.
The doorbell rang at about 7PM. I thought it was Chris Cordellos but he pulled a ‘no show’. It was Tom, the bearded boyfriend.
“Oh, Stacey is at her mom’s house.”

A little later, Stacey came home with her mom, a close family friend, her step dad and brothers. They all attempted to carry a couch upstairs into the spare bedroom. They had to use a saw to chop the sofa to get it through the door. How ridiculous! These are the trials, tribulations and stresses of having a roommate. I left for SAFEWAY because I couldn’t watch the nightmare of it all. I wanted it to be over by the time I returned home.

When I did return home it seemed mellower. It was nice to be home. I made a salad and a lean cuisine dinner. I sort of watched ROCKY III (or was it IV or V?). I got into watching the 20/20 Newsmagazine show. They were interviewing Donna Rice about the Gary Hart (Presidential Candidate) controversy. I love 20/20. It’s a good show.

One gains the most if one can sufficiently heighten the yield of pleasure from the sources of psychical and intellectual work.
-Sigmund Freud
Civilization and its Discontents

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • "THAT GIRL"
    'It seemed a shame that we could be so close in our letters and never see each other alone.' A WAY OF LIFE, LIKE ANY OTHER by Darcy ...
  • The Beginnings - Part 81: FORTY WHACKS
    When people gamble, they think only of winning. They never think of losing. Remember this: Someone has to lose and it’s just as apt to be yo...
  • The Beginnings - Part 137: IS THERE ANYTHING GOING ON...
    He was an arch-rogue, far more than his own underlings realized, full of playfulness, wit, slyness, delighting in magician’s tricks, in guis...
  • A 'No Go'
    If there was a surprise in all this, it was only that he didn’t give a damn anymore. Olen Steinhauer, THE NEAREST EXIT Twenty-five years ago...
  • The Beginnings - Part 8: GEOGRAPHICALLY UNDESIRABLE
    To ‘learn’ something was the dream of our lives. -Janet Frame An Autobiography PHOTOS OF THE DAY: July 11, 1987, Honolulu, Hawaii Meeting Le...
  • The Untouchables
    I chose the specialty of surgery because of Matron, that steady presence during my boyhood and adolescence. “What is the hardest thing you c...
  • The Beginnings - Part 113: THE HAUNTING PASSION
    “You’re not as complicated as you think you are.” -as heard during the 2006 film THE CURIOSITY OF CHANCE The Beginnings – Part 113:   THE H...
  • Itching
    I think this is why God made kids, so you can look at their mouths eating applesauce you are feeding to them and forget everybody else’s BS....
  • In The Nick of Time
    Ideas are ‘new combinations’ of old elements. -Michael J Armijo PHILOSOPHICAL STATMENTS Twenty-five years ago today: June 2, 1987 Tuesday Th...
  • The Beginnings - Part 116: I NEED SOMEONE
    “You’ve chosen a rather public place for a private meeting,” I note. “I’ve always found it best to hide in plain sight.” -Paul Russell ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (30)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2013 (3)
    • ►  December (3)
  • ▼  2012 (267)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (31)
    • ►  September (30)
    • ►  August (31)
    • ►  July (31)
    • ▼  June (30)
      • Upside Down
      • One In Every Port
      • Hamburgers and Witches
      • A Daydream
      • Roasted Marshmallows
      • My Very Best-Friend
      • It's All New To Me
      • His So-Called Relationship
      • A Movie Star
      • Suede and Leather
      • It's No Big Deal
      • A 'No Go'
      • A 'No Show'
      • It's Beyond Me
      • A Good Influence
      • Home-Cooked Goodies
      • Mexicali Rose Anniversary Margarita's
      • Ten Year Reunion
      • La Bomba
      • To Let Off Some Steam
      • Hot Summer Nights
      • Waiting Around In The Wings
      • The Hell With It
      • Being A Nuisance
      • When You Find The Time
      • The Untouchables
      • BIG HUNK
      • Awesome: Children of a Lesser God
      • In The Nick of Time
      • Getting HOT Again
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (30)
    • ►  March (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile